Monday, March 26, 2007

don't call them cute, ok you have to

I never even have a second to make a goddamned post! It sucks. Remember when I was a gen-x slacker? That was sweet.

Saw Agent Ribbons on sunday at the record club thingy at the Press. They played at five, which is the rad thing about this twice monthly event. I liked them a lot. I expected a cute little pop group but the lady is a belter. I like it more when she reigns it in and reminds me of Mama Cass and not as much when she reminds me of PJ Harvey. It's really exciting to see a good new pop band in sac.

That's all I have time to say about that but I am also very excited to find that Morrissey is starting his next tour in motherfucking Stockton, Cali, USA! I'm going. It's at the Bob Hope theater, no less!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARibbons are apparently living up to the hype. My little lady went without me (I had practice) and loved them.

Jed

Anonymous said...

The thing which is truly starting to freak me out, is that not a single shred of promotional material has been created or sent beyond flyers for shows, and photos for what will someday be the press kit.

The hype is 100% word of mouth.

I feel like the entire process has been turned upside down and inside out. Instead of promoting to create buzz, I'm just being pulled along in the wake of the existing shockwaves.

I'm sure there will be some eventual backlash, but damn. At this point it is almost a fulltime job just to make sure there are enough discs to meet demand and enough gas in the tank to reach the next show.

Anonymous said...

I love Agent Ribbons. Natalie is a goddess, and she's an old-school belter in a young woman's body, and she can write great tunes, too. Along with Adrian Bourgeois, I think she's the biggest talent to come out of this burg in many a moon.

A slight correction about the hype, though, Eric. It hasn't been entirely word-of-mouth. Some of us in the local press have been quite vocal about our adoration for Agent Ribbons.

Anonymous said...

Agent Ribbons! Agent Ribbons!

Alec, Danny and I went out on the town to see the newly hyped band and we loved them. On the way home, Alec said, "I don't want to go to their Myspace because what if they ruined a song by putting a trombone part on it or something?" We then went home, went to myspace and listened to a song and lo and behold... a damn trombone part.

-heckamax

beckler said...

what do you have against the 'bone?

Anonymous said...

Antipathy toward the 'bone = trouble right here in River City.

Anonymous said...

Trouble= I don't like the bone!

Still love the band, though.

-heckamax

Anonymous said...

There's a 'pet on there, but no 'bone. It's an all girl band after all.

And yes, I will not deny the steady stream of love from our local press (considering I've linked to all the good bits on the website)? I seem to recall you coming to the show and buying a disc just like everybody else. No promos, no freebies, and I don't think we even comped you at the door. We're bastards. I'm sorry.