Wednesday, June 09, 2010

La Morena you spicy bitch

Out in the desert Tim W. made some foil-wrapped fish seasoned with chilpotles (I didn't know it was sometimes spelled like that) in adobo and I got stoked on the smoky flavor and heat. Do you guys use this chili? What do you do with it? Seems like it would be really good with chicken. Anybody smoked their own?

The Bee got around to writing about the Cooking from the Heart, the locally written Hmong cookbook. The article was prompted by the Sac Co-op cooking class that's going on this Saturday, conducted by author Sheng Yang. You start by touring some Hmong farms in North Sac and then go to the Co-op and cook. Info here. There's a funny comment on the article by someone who obviously takes this issue personally:

Hmong cuisine? Good to know someone put it on paper but hopefully they admit that Hmong cuisine is basically chinese, laos, and thai food cooked the wrong way
.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brand you pictured above it the best of the chiles in adobo sauce. I puree 1-5 chiles and use it in salsa or mix it in with coleslaw (unsweetened coleslaw is best). I also like putting a tablespoon of the sauce and a teaspoon of lime juice in crema, and using it as a topping for tacos or burritos. Super easy and good.

My favorite use for it is a marinade for spicy carnitas. Puree the following:

1-2 can of chiles in adobo
4-6 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon oregano
Juice of 3-4 oranges
Salt

Marinate the pork butt in this stuff for a day or two. Slow cook on the BBQ for a few hours. Shred and enjoy.

DKK

Anonymous said...

One two can!

beckler said...

awesome! thanks!

Liv Moe said...

You also picked the sexiest of the chiles in adobo.

I used to make a mashed sweet potato recipe that I feel like I got from Summer with chiles in adobo. It was hella good so maybe she'll see this and refresh my memory.

beckler said...

Violent J's latest tweet:

Tonight's show was postponed because of a Faygo delivery problem. Now I'm walking threw the Arizona Mills Mall. The show will go on tomarrow

This is not a joke. I looked it up. They postponed the show.

summer said...

Can't say as I recall, Liv - think it was just sweet potatoes, ample butter and salt, pepper, adobo to taste. You could definitely jazz it up more; I just like the non-sweet sweet taters.

Dani, that recipe looks SO good. There will be pork butt on my grill soon.

Anonymous said...

I have used the chipotles in a this rick bayless salad. I brought it to the taco party.
http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=106

So far in Louisiana, I have had gumbo, a half oyster/half shrimp po'boy, crawfish etouffe, black eyed peas, lima beans, red beans and rice, green onion mashed potatoes and blackened catfish. They are very generous with salt. I haven't had a drive through daiquiri yet, but I will.

gbomb

Liv Moe said...

jealous

Anonymous said...

All of that was from the cafeteria so it was not the best available, but today we got early after a mere 13 hour day, so we went to Fremin's in Thibadeaux and I had a soft shelled crab LaFourche which is maybe the most fucking amazing thing I have ever eaten. Now be jealous. AND I have 9 whole hours before I have to go back to work. Today is a good day.
gbomb

Oh and cheese grits for breakfast!