Monday, November 15, 2010

Lady Kaede will cut you

You guys have all seen Kurosawa's Ran, right? I never had, but now it's gotta be in my top ten favorite movies ever. I would give my left nut (that's a dad-ism) to see it on a big screen. How badass is Lady Kaede? The scene that this still is from is astounding (and disturbing, and hot). I watched it like three times. I would also love to see King Lear performed, but perhaps I will have to settle for reading it. Does anyone ever perform Shakespeare around this area?


Oh yeah, and Jandek was the most Jandek possible at the show in Davis. He didn't say a word to the audience and it was pretty dark so I didn't get a clear look at him. The Sac-area dudes playing with him did a great job at what I'm sure was an extremely difficult task. Above is Jandek being the least Jandek possible.

10 comments:

beckler said...

look at how much posting I will do to avoid writing my midmo article! sorry OMF

Anonymous said...

DO IT!

Link fixed, btw.

-omf

Anonymous said...

Did Jandek mention why he never returned all of those calls?
jamattack!

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing Ran at Tower, maybe 1983-84? It was raining and the entire neighborhood was flooded. I had to sit in the first or second row. Shit was killer, like I was totally agsgated*.

Ed

*verification word

beckler said...

The best quip of the night was from some Davis-y looking kids when they were leaving after the concert, the one guy said, "hey guys, do you think Jandek ever feels alone?". LOL

also, heckamax postulated that the afterparty consisted of jandek in christian kiefer's hot tub.

Anonymous said...

Alone.

-miller

Anonymous said...

"I don't think of it as loneliness. I think of it as solitude."--Shadow Ring

Anonymous said...

The Olivier televised version of "King Lear" is pretty amazing and has a stellar cast.

DKK

beckler said...

I'll seek that out.

3DChain said...

I think Ran is one of the last movies to truely be called an "Epic". Kurosawa went out with a bang.