Wednesday, November 10, 2010

what did you think?

I forgot my breakfast at home and I'm dying of hunger. I am trying to hold out for 50 more minutes so I can have FatFace for brunch.

Have you guys ever read Paris Trout? I just read it. What did you think? I don't think it holds up that well. The sex scenes made me feel squinky. And I like sex scenes in any form! There is a lot of watching of muscles under the skin. Including on a lady who is in her 50s. How many visible muscles could she have? And there's a thoroughly implausible under the table hand job that treads into Cosmo magazine territory.

He does well at characterizing the ingrained, largely unquestioned racism and sexism of the period (early 50s) in small town Georgia. A cursory internet search reveals that reviews at the time were lukewarm, despite the fact that it went on to win the National Book Award.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read it forever ago and liked it. But really can't remember much. My fiction tastes 15-20 years ago can be highly suspect.

Natalie.

Anonymous said...

I LOLed at the untouched oatmeal on the stove.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Did you see the movie? Meh, imho. Tho' it does star my favorite freak-magnet Barbara Seagull.

--Knowcebo

archbishop said...

I think the book and the movie are both pretty good. The movie would look nicer if it wasn't filmed on video which hurts. The coke bottle bit was a heartfelt touch to Deliverance. I haven't seen Jackass 3D, but I hope the redid that bit.

Anonymous said...

went on a pete dexter bender a few years back and read everything he wrote -- liked Paris Trout but it wasn''t as good as any of his other books. Read them

2nd recommendation -- read Jennifer Egan.

Enough telling people what to read.

tedism