Monday, November 08, 2010

Portland post

So Personal and the Pizzas canceled. I asked them the reason and they said, "Ay, it's personal", so I didn't pry. I think it might have conflicted with some literacy classes they are taking.

I had yet another fun trip to that culinary wonderland, Portland. Here I am enjoying the foliage.
One day we took a little trip to the Mount Hood area to check out the Timberline Lodge. It's a ski lodge that was used for the exterior shots in The Shining. Every inch of the inside is filled with gorgeous WPA craftmanship. Such as this:
and this-look at those colors!
and this stained glass work
and this iron work
and these light fixtures
and here's the view from the cafe
where I got a hot buttered rum
I guess that's Mount Jefferson. DP was convinced that that bit of smoke emerging from the top (or was it a cloud?) meant that it was about to blow.
Then we went on a hike where I swear I probably saw 100 different types of mushrooms



I'll spare you the rest, but this one was the most spectacular. It was about the size of a dessert plate.
We hiked to mirror lake. I wonder why they call it that?
Back in Portland, I got this little marvel of excess at Pine State biscuits. I gained about 3 pounds on this trip.
Handsome
I FINALLY went to Pok Pok, and it did indeed live up to the hype. And the opening of the Whiskey Soda Lounge across the street (by the same dude) means that you can go over there and drink a delicious cocktail and eat some chicken wings while you wait for your table. It's an excellent system. You're often looking at about an hour wait, so you can pass the time with cocktails. The miang kham salad (a composed salad with dried shrimp, toasted coconut, chilies, and lime peel served here on betel leaves) was heavenly. I love that fucking salad. I order it whenever I see it. I didn't take any pictures at Pok Pok. A dude in our party who has spent a lot of time in Thailand confirmed that it was muy authentico, if anyone cares.

My other favorite place I visited this time was Olympic Provisions, which is a temple of charcuterie in the industrial part of southeast Portland (right?, we drove so I'm not positive). They have excellent happy hour deals and they give you a charcuterie list where you check off stuff, like you're ordering dim sum or sushi. That there is saucisson d'Alsace, and also a Greek one with orange peel and cumin. And pickled rhubarb! Nice and bitter.
roasted brussel sprouts with boquerone-style anchovies and pine nuts
A nice ocean-y manzanilla sherry and roasted almonds and bread with the grassiest olive oil possible
Last picture, CH and DP lived half a block from an awesome bakery called The Little T. Yummy pastries, and this breakfast, house cured lox (it's Portland, natch) on spelt with cream cheese, tarragon, capers, and orange peel. I ate it two days in a row for breakfast.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was on the verge of looking at SacRag when this post came up. Crisis averted...for now.

-DB

Cody said...

Brandi and I tried to make it up to the Timberline Lodge on one of our trips to Portland, but we totally weren't thinking about snow in October so our car wouldn't make it up. We were way bummed. We stayed in a cabin in nearby Rhododendron which was awesome though.

Anonymous said...

USGS says that none of the Cascade volcanos are active right now. Sleep well, DP.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

That lodge is so great! Having been raised at the foot of a cascade volcano I can atest they are the chillin'est. (Insert any number of Mount Baker jokes here, Mt. Baker never blows is a good clean one)

Natalie.

Anonymous said...

So jealous! Glad you liked Pok Pok.
Is that a biscuit/fried chicken/bacon/ranch combo?

-Anna

beckler said...

no bacon, but i got fried green tomatoes on the side, and they came with ranch, and the whole thing was bland and fatty, so i tried to liven it up with ranch. the fried green tomatoes were overbreaded and somehow not tart at all, which is weird. it wasn't that great, just very rich and decadent

Gina said...

holy moses the biscuit sandwich.