Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Middleschmertz

Not much to say today. I'm in a blog funk and a bad mood. Perhaps because none of the Amish decided to go back to being Amish in "Amish in the city". Even Mose didn't go back! Who is going to appreciate his wooden toys now? Not your average city kid, that's for sure! Anyway, I'm glad to be taking a break from blogging, because starting on Friday, Scott Miller is going to be taking over the blog while I'm in NY and Providence. I can't wait for fall weather and lots o' pizza. Anna has been kind enough to recommend a few restaurants and I have plans to explore some Brooklyn neighborhoods that I've never been to before.

I just finished reading Middlesex, and if you've read that or the Virgin Suicides and you're interested in a good interview of Jeffrey Eugenides, here's one: http://www.bombsite.com/eugenides/eugenides.html
I saw that in the author picture in the back, he looks kind of like a Musketeer, which is how the hermaphrodite in Middlesex describes him/herself, so I became convinced that it was a true story and that he's a hermaphrodite. He has a daughter so it's not true. I recommend either book. The part on the Detroit riots in Middlesex is insane and makes me want to read more about it. I can't believe how many people died! I'm very excited that Phillip Roth is writing a new book. It contains a narrator named Phillip Roth and lets hope that this narrator seems to be in a bit less pain than the Phillip Roths of recent books. That way I can cross Phillip Roth of my list of random people and things I worry about. What with the prostate cancer, the drug psychosis, and the tell-all book by that bitch Claire Bloom, Roth doesn't seem to be sailing into his golden years with ease.

I have big plans for when I get back, including harassing Graswich, Ask Joey, and Steve Vanoni for interviews.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Middleschmertz? I heard that!

-michele