Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Old time is not a crime

OK, enough whining about my job situation. Here's an item about Sac. Pauly Shore is debuting his new movie "Pauly Shore is dead" at the Crest this friday and you can meet the weasel himself if you go. I saw Pauly Shore at the Crest in 1991, when I was a junior in high school (I'm dating myself here, but I was dating myself back in high school, too, or I guess you could say I was dating my dream image of one Captain James Tiberius Kirk). This is what I remember: I thought it was hilarious. Pauly was wearing a headband, a net shirt, and pink spandex bell bottoms. And, the women were going crazy for him.

Speaking of the Crest, I caught a little bit of Leon Redbone's performance there on Friday. His repertoire was very old timey and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out which commercials he sings. I kept trying to sing all the jingles I could think of in his gravelly, old-timey voice but I couldn't figure it out. Hard to believe that he actually sings "Camptown Races" and that people pay to see it. I thought only Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig sing that song. When the crowd started to filter out I sat in the lobby and started counting hawaiian shirts, which were the garment of choice for both men and women, and I counted 37 in just a few minutes. The best was the Cheech and Chong one. Nothing says, "I want to feel dressed up, while still being too much of a slob to put on anything nice" like a hawaiian shirt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(from anna)
Doesn't Leon sing the "That's ALL, the stainlifter, that's ALL" jingle? I'll sing it for you when you come over if you need the tune.

beckler said...

That sounds about right. Thanks! I kept thinking it was for Countrytime lemonade, but I don't even think they have a jingle. Did he sing the Mr. Belvedere theme, too?

Anonymous said...

(from anna)
I don't think he did the Mr. Belvedere song, the m-belv artist's voice was not as deep as Leon's. I've been laughing out loud all day about your Buggs Bunny comment!!