Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Guest review


mobutu
Originally uploaded by becklerg.

Today we have a guest restaurant review from Anna with a surprise celebrity appearance. Although the phrase "favorite Laker" caused me to choke on my coffee a little (that's like having a favorite dictator, but I guess Mobotu did wear those cool leopard hats). I agree with this review. I went to the Plantation (their motto, which explains the iffy name is "where soul food began") a couple of times when it first opened and I enjoyed both visits. I love the fact that it's open so late, but I wish they could serve beer. The service is always great, but the food is a little uneven. Some things are delicious, some are just so-so. Anyway, here's Anna's review:

On Saturday night, Erik and I ate at The Plantation, a soul food restaurant located on Del Paso Boulevard. I had been curious about the place ever since we drove past months ago because it is housed in a very cute, white building and their sign was made of bent iron, which contributed to its unique character. Inside, the restaurant walls are covered with black and white photographs of prominent African-Americans. The menu offers a choice of about 10-12 entrees; each comes with two sides. Erik chose fried ribs with mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. I picked fried red snapper with mac and cheese and collard greens. While we were waiting, we noticed that Derek Fisher (former Laker, current Warrior) was in the restaurant with two other guys. When they were done with their meal, Fisher posed for pictures with the waitresses. He seemed pleasant; he was always my favorite Laker.
So, Erik's entree came out first, but they gave him fried pork chops with yams and mac and cheese instead of the fried ribs with mashed potatoes and mac & cheese. It all looked good though, and we didn't want it to be thrown out, so we kept it, but told the waitress just in case she gave us someone else's order. She was apologetic, and offered to bring us a sample of the fried ribs as well. My entree arrived about 3 minutes after Erik's, which was fine since we were sharing, but technically, that is a no-no. Everything was just as I ordered. Each dinner was a whole lotta food and came with a slice of corn bread and a wedge of watermelon. The mac and cheese was fairly bland, but the greens were so seasoned that it made up for it. The greens had chunks of smoked turkey that had a really neat rose color. I read once that using smoked turkey as a flavoring agent is a new trend in soul food, it is replacing pork products for health reasons. Erik's yams were great, very sweet and spiced. My snapper was okay, it was breaded in cornmeal (I think) and fried. The fried ribs were pretty good! They are just spareribs that are breaded and deep-fried, served without any sauce. The breading was flavorful and the ribs were tender. For me, it was hard to get past the thought that I was eating deep-fried ribs, probably one of the most fattening combinations on the planet. (Actually, it is probably better than the chocolate-covered pork fat, a delicacy in the Ukraine that Michele told me about.)
We didn't order dessert and brought some food home. Overall, I enjoyed the food and liked the ambiance of the place. We figured the service was a bit spotty because of the excitement of Derek Fisher in the house. I am going to return and try smothered chicken, turkey leg, garlic crab and gumbo. I may even wash it down with a strawberry soda, how often is that an option?
The Plantation: 1022 Del Paso Blvd.
PS: It's open until 3am on weekends.


No comments: