Monday, October 18, 2004

miscellaneous monday

What the fuck is going on with Sammy Chu's? Graswich says it's not for sure closing down but people who work at Paragary's disagree and speak of its demise as a done deal. That place sucks. They should Give. It. Up.

There is a "Save the Tower" rally tomorrow from 5:30-7:00. Make a sign and try to get on the news. It's pretty easy to get them to talk to you, but the one time I've done it I got so nervous!

Even more important to attend would be a meeting to decide the future of K street that takes place this saturday from 9-2 at 801 K st. The citizens should represent because if it's anything like an arena meeting, the developers will get about 90% of the speaking time.

Confession: I may not be attending either of these things. Saturday I'm out of town for a work conference, but I'll try to go to the Tower rally. I have a date, so I might not be able to.

I have been discussing with friends lately how unfortunate it is that in a pretty sizable city with a lot of young people that like to go out that we don't have the kinds of businesses that other cities of our size have. My main two gripes are: no film-nerd video store and no hipster/young-person-owned bar. Bellingham, which is far smaller than Sac, had, if I recall correctly, two pretty good video stores. And in Sac as far as bar selection your only choices are dive-type bars or hottie bars. There's nothing in between where there's a decent jukebox, they might have a few good drink specials, maybe some DJs once in a while. Where are all the hipster rich kids to open businesses in this town? Come on kids, make daddy buy you a bar.

The new Safeway is insane. I kept freaking out when I was in it. It didn't seem real that this gleaming new store could be right in my neighborhood. It's way more yuppie than the other Safeway downtown. I didn't expect that. I must admit, it's pretty exciting to live that close to a market. I feel that it will make it much easier for me to make myself cook at home rather than going out for every meal.

I had a real Sacramento Saturday, which, of course, involved the Flame (and even the band Sacramento playing inside). I found out something new, which is that SHARPS nowadays don't look like their counterparts from my youth. I had some pointed out to me and I had been hanging out there all night and had no idea. They don't wear the normal skinhead uniform anymore. Now you can pick them out by their colorful neck tatoos. In fact, between the new biker crowd and the skins, there were more neck tattoos in there per capita than at Folsom prison. That's another new thing, the Flame hired a biker bouncer and they CHECK YOUR I.D. AT THE DOOR! No longer a bastion of underaged drinking, will the Flame survive? Of course you can still slip in the back door if you are quick and inconspicuous.

Quick review of the food at the Zodiac Cafe. Of course, the bubble drinks and juices there are delicious, but have you ever tried the food? Probably not, because they are out of most of it. Vince said that the Vietnamese sandwiches are gross. I got a pork bun-thing, and it passed my standards of not giving me food poisoning, which I worried about because it was sitting out on a Saturday night. Grace got the fried fish balls, which I found to be frightening, but she liked them OK. They were about 1 inch in diameter, very spicy, but the scary thing to me was that they had a weird "skin" that snapped like hot dog skin when you bit into it. What could the skin be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the Vietnamese sadwich is delicious, but you can't look at the meat too closely. That was probably Vince's downfall.

guphy