Thursday, October 28, 2004

Open-air market in Sac?

Well the big lab inspection is today, and let's just say that if we don't pass this we totally blow the Peterson account.
I heard a third-hand account of that J,K,L street city planning meeting that Anna attended (I'm still hoping she'll write something about it), and I heard that she had the excellent idea that the Woolworth's building could be a Pike's Place Market kind of deal. I think that's a great idea. And if not there, perhaps down by the river. There could be little gourmet booths, junk-food stands, coffee, fish and meat stall, fresh vegetables, cheese, etc. If there must be development downtown, this sounds like the kind of development that would actually add something to the city. If Anna will tell me more about her proposal, I'll write a letter to the mayor and my city councilman endorsing her plan. I also heard that rather than jumping on her idea, people were still mired in the "entertainment" idea, which is great if it doesn't mean just showing the same movies they can see in the suburbs. Cuz why would they want to drive all the way here for that? Anyway, I personally don't want the suburbanites driving here despite their loads of cash.
Speaking of suburbanites, I finally went to Mikuni downtown last night. I was prompted to go by a visit to Mikuni in Roseville which, although the ambiance was screamy and awful, had really good food. Thankfully, at least on a Wednesday night, the downtown one had much less screaming and leering by the sushi dudes. In fact, it had less than a typically see at Nishiki, which is definitely 10 points in Mikuni's favor. The last think I want when I pay a buttload for sushi is to see dudes acting like they're at Hooters. The high ceilings in Mikuni give it a constant loud, echoey rumble, though. Grace and I were slightly overwhelmed by the menu, and had to search to just find simple rolls that were not deep fried or covered in ten kinds of mayo. We got a plate called citrus blossom, which was lightly seared tuna in a citrus ponzu sauce. It was very good but I still prefer my standard order of pepperfin, which both Mikuni and Nishiki make deliciously. Grace and I split a large spicy tuna roll, which was just OK. Mikuni's only spicy tuna roll has cucumber in it, too, and I would have preferred just tuna. And it wasn't very spicy. I also got hamachi nigiri, which was also just OK, partly due to that fact that the piece was constructed in such a way to make it impossible to pick up and eat, so I ended up getting a bit of hamachi and then a bite of rice. In this way I noticed that the rice was not really flavored like sushi rice should be. It was basically just plain rice with barely a hint of rice vinegar. The sake at Mikuni seemed to be a bit cheaper, but neither one has a very extensive sake list. So I would say overall that usually I enjoy the food at Nishiki better, although the food I had at the Roseville Mikuni was on par with Nishiki, so maybe it was just what I ordered. Nishiki is a bit cheaper and quieter, so as long as those sushi dudes at Nishiki shut the fuck up I'll continue to go there. Oh yeah, also Mikuni gives no edamame or miso or anything, and Nishiki is inconsistent but will sometimes give you one or both.
I watched 8 mile last night, which I liked and if anyone rents it I'd like to recommend one of the special features. There's a part where director Curtis Hanson (who looks like Harry Shearer, not the cool guy I pictured) talks about freestyling (which is really funny in itself), and then tells how they set up a freestyling contest with some of the extras from the club scene. Fast forward till the end when they are filming some scenes with the 4 winners. The director has told Eminem to just pantomime as if he's rapping cuz his voice is going out, but once the winners start making fun of him he starts freestyling back and he's really, really good at it. It's crazy to watch. It's sad that the winners suck so bad, though. I wanted to see one of them step up and destroy him, but they just stick to making fun of him cuz he's white or saying that he's gay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna's plan sounds great! the Woolworth's site could be really good for that, downtown workers could go there for lunch, and people who live dowtown could go there to shop.

I just wanted to point out that they actually already tried this by the river (believe it or not, that development on Front Street was inspired by Pike Place in Seattle). It was a good idea, but it was such a bad location! My Grandma's favortie butcher Al set up shop there, but who wants to drive to Old Sac for fresh meat? Old Sac is awkward to get to, on the way to nowhere, and generally thought of as a place for tourists. No one is going to go grocery shopping there. But the Woolworth's site is much more feasible. Plus it would appeal to the gaping void left by the absence of Thursday night market. People used to come downtown for that, they like roaming up and down K street. But there has to be food and stuff for them to look at.

-michele

Anonymous said...

sacto tried the open stalls things by the river in old sac, as an attempt to get more locals down there, but it hasn't really worked out; i think it wasn't enough to get the locals in, so more tourist-oriented booths are taking over. it's called the Public Market; you can find a list of booths at http://www.oldsacramento.com/public_market

as for pushing for "entertainment" downtown, it wasn't long ago that espresso metro on K was a happening place to see bands, and joe's style shop on J did a lot, too, but the city wouldn't approve anything like that now unless it seemed to appeal to suburbanites, particularly older yupsters. i.e., jazz or blues, but no hiphop or punk or whatever.

- darin

beckler said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that market in Old Sac. Lazlo's has the best smoked fish and bagels! If you haven't been there you have to go. I wish I could go right now.

I agree about the Metro thing. That was so awesome when for a brief time we could see shows by bands like Animal Collective and the Gossip. Now bands that size just bypass our town. I guess that's not the kind of entertainment that the city council wants to encourage.

Anonymous said...

From Anna:
Actually, I wasn't the one to come up with the Pike's place idea. Several people including a woman who works for the City's economic devo. program mentioned it and at the end of the meeting, a lot of groups included a food market in their proposals. (That may not make sense until I give you a summary, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting credit for something I didn't do!)