Monday, November 15, 2004

Icon doomed?

Here's a link for the bored: http://grouphug.us/ These anonymous confessions are strangely addictive.

Scott reminded me that La Fiesta (owned by the La Favorita people) is opening in the place of the Alhambra Grill. The excitement is building about this among some of my friends. If this place is like Favorita, it'll be the bomb. I like that there are fewer reasons lately for me to travel far from my neighborhood, now I have a close market and bank and Peet's, and with the Favorita here I won't have to travel to the Florin Mall area. The traffic in that area is horrible, but it is a good excuse to go to the secret thrift store. I wish there was a Vietnamese sandwich place downtown, too.

Strolled by Icon at 7:00 on a saturday night and it wasn't exactly packed to the gills. Perhaps this location is doomed.

I would like to post some info about Charles' arts co-op thing, so Charles, if you're reading, send it to me via email and I can post tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not downtown, but the formerly Balinese restaurant across from McClatchy is a Vietnamese sandwich place now. I guess it's good, but hideously expensive at $3 a pop.

guphy

Anonymous said...

Whoah, you're right about Icon! I rode by after work & there wasn't one single customer in there. Not that 5:15 is typically the busiest restaurant time but even Sammy Chu's was semi-full around then. That transition was shady though. Suddenly there's a new sign with a new name? No indication really of what type of food they serve. Perhaps they specialize in iconic cuisine.

miller

leon said...

"I like that there are fewer reasons lately for me to travel far from my neighborhood"

upon discovering la favorita
"mission burrito what?"

upon hearing this great news you bring to me
"florin road what?"

-leon levy

Anonymous said...

The Zodiac teahouse offers a Vietnamese sandwich or two. Can't vouch for the quality tho.