Monday, June 12, 2006

Siam

Way back last week I ate at Siam but I couldn't review it because of blogger. Siam is the place on J and 37th where the KFC used to be. KW reviewed it awhile ago. On her recommendation we started with the miang kum. This is a deconstructed salad that you assemble. I have had a similar version at Pattaya, and Siam's had a clumsier execution, but was tasty nonetheless and I would order it again. You take a spinach leaf, load it up (as much as you can load up a spinach leaf, Pattaya uses a sturdier green) with dried shrimp (which smells exactly like ass, yum) chunks of ginger, onion, and peanut (all of which were should have been cut into smaller pieces), toasted coconut, some kind of tangy sauce and then try to shovel it in quick before it all drops. I'm not making it sound appetizing but it is! And fun to eat! Like ass! Sorry I'm gross. Then we got the thai basil (or chili basil, I can't remember what the dish was called) with chicken. This was fucking great and greasy as hell. I swear that it was pork or they somehow got the chicken to seem exactly like ground pork. Jews and Muslims, beware. The other thing we got was a noodle dish with crab. The flavor on this was just OK, way too sweet for my taste. It was an enjoyable dinner but there are so many Thai restaurants in downtown Sac that it's hard to find a reason to visit this one over any other. If you're sick of Amarin, Chada and Taste of Thai, or if you are hanging out at the Christian Science room trying to pick up chicks and get hungry, then go to Siam.

Now lets talk about the problem with Andy Nyugens. I have heard some horror stories lately about the service and have experienced a few of my own. Why oh why can't they get it together? AND I heard that they stopped serving beer now. That sucks. That said, I ate there last week and got the cold noodle salad with fake meat and dried spring rolls and it was scrump. So I keep going back despite the hassle. From now on I'll just sneak in my own flask.

I also ate at Jarritos for the first time in like six months and I love how it is always the same and always the bomb and that my dinner always costs four dollars. I can't eat there that often because it isn't on my diet plan but I will always have a soft spot for it.

I still need to write about my amazing dinner at Masons last week. Like you care! If you're reading as I'm posting you're probably hungry so maybe you do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

their Pad Sewee with tofu is heavenly.

ACK said...

They do make good pad thai and tasty curries.

Anonymous said...

it is the same family Beth!

werenotdeep said...

For a second there, Amy, I thought you meant that you ate a baby.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what's up with Nyugens? When they first reopened I thought it was pretty great, but the last time I went they forgot two of our plates and then fucked up the attempt to cover and make nice. We channeld the Buddha and rolled with it, but the service was lame that last time.

vietgone,
Jed

Anonymous said...

Siam? I am, not too impressed with it. Had the Chicken Param and the chicken tasted like they got some free buckets of the stuff thrown in when they took over the KFC lease. Totally chewy and fried. Gross, actually. Generally I like just a hint of peanut sauce, but we were ladling up as much as we could to disguise the Colonel's bad prank. But, they certainly deserve another chance. The ambience is really the hardest part to stomach. It'd almost be nicer to order it to go and sit over at the Subway across the street to eat it.

-Dave

Anonymous said...

> I also ate at Jarritos for the first
> time in like six months and I love how
> it is always the same

The same? Nah, not really. Jarritos used to have the finest in pepperpots serving you. Now, not so much. It seems like it's just grannie and/or aunties viejas. Bring back the pepperpots, I say.

--Ben Dayho

Anonymous said...

I second Ben. Turn up the pepperpots!

Anonymous said...

Siam is in its third owner.

The first owner was grub, The second owner sucked, the third is pretty good, the new location on Jay street is better than franklin for some odd reason.