Friday, January 21, 2011

Beer Awareness

The Shack has a ton of good brew right now. Maybe not so much on draft, but draft and bottles combined. I am hoping that smiller will weigh in on the comments for brew tawk.
This is a beer brewed by Fantome called Pissenlit. Apparently that is some joke on peeing. Most Belgian and Dutch beer names are a joke on butts or boobs or peeing. It's very sophisticated. It is delish.
This is the Allagash interlude, a sour beer. I would give it a C as compared to other sour beers, and an A compared to the normal crap that most places have on tap. It did not knock my socks off. The Shack has it on draft right now.
I barely tasted this. Smiller liked it.
This is the Houblon Chouffe. I was trying to capture that the glassware has backwards writing that is meant to be read through the glass, over the gnome's head. I think it says "magic chouffe" Chouffe refers to a dwarf or gnome in the Walloonian dialect, so says the internet. This is a delicious hoppy brew. I love it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"“Pissenlit” is the French word for dandelion. Literally, it means “pee in bed,” which we guess describes the physical effect the flower has on French-speaking persons. We are happy to report, however, that we haven’t had any problems with incontinence after downing a bottle of this beer."

Anonymous said...

I bought a bottle of that Fantome last summer. Thought something was wrong with it, and your pic proves it. The bottle I got had zero carbonation and the beer was a thick, gooey mess. We poured it all out. I'll have to try it from an uncompromised bottle, as I usually love Fantome - just bought a bottle of their Chocolat brew that I haven't tried yet.

The De Ranke is good like everything they do. I really want their Kriek, but I can't find it anywhere.

-Z

beckler said...

The carbonation was great, just perfect on this one. Fantome is always a crapshoot.

Mmmmm.....De Ranke Kriek. That's what I let peeps sample at the screening of The Beer Hunter. I had an old one sitting around. The Davis Co-op is the only place that ever has it, but not for a while.

Anonymous said...

I drank way too much Chouffe in Belgium because I am a sucker for a cute label.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

I think that was maybe a Drie Fonteinen Kriek at the movie night?

There was definitely a batch of Fantome a while back that had no carbonation. It was pretty bad. Newer batches are carbonated from what I've tried. I predict you'll love the Chocolat - it's my favorite of theirs.

-miller

beckler said...

God, I knew I was getting that wrong. I was going to make a crack about you correcting me, and then it came to pass. I even gave my shpiel about how we met the brewer at Drie Fonteinin.

beckler said...

here's a topic for discussion: what does it mean when a Calvin is pissing on a Ford logo AND flipping you off and the sticker is ON a Ford?

Anonymous said...

I've felt like having a drink all day. Also, I recently went to the shack for lunch and had a delicious french dip. A childhood favorite that I'm really coming back to.
jamattack!
ps. I think it means piss on you for looking down on Ford's with Calvin logo's pissing on them

Anonymous said...

it means you're in citrus heights.

Anonymous said...

Drie Fonteinen - even better. Sounds like an awesome event you put on there.

Interesting that the batch of Fantome was all like that. I'd say that they probably shouldn't have released it. But, I'd definitely try the batch they got at the Shack.

Great wine article you wrote in the SN&R, by the way. Michele Hebert's suggestion made me run out to Corti's, but unfortunately the Jura savagnins they had were pretty pricey. Opted for an 07 Mosel Riesling (Josef Bernard-Kieren) instead. It was great.

So thanks again!

-Z

beckler said...

Thanks, Z. Glad you're still reading. Maybe one day I will run into you when I'm not completely stoned. King Tuff has been touring and I'm reallyreallyreally hoping he will play at The Hub.