Tuesday, June 07, 2011

let me tell you a slightly NSFW story

I finally joined facebook, and I plan to check it once a day in the morning.  So far, it doesn't seem that tempting cuz I can't really figure out what's going on.  

I just got back from the Stinson Beach area, so nice!  Even with the rain.  I missed a lot, including new Bow's first art opening.  Today is their first official day of business.  That's really exciting.

 Got some oysters at the Drake's Bay oyster farm.  They were good, but at this time of year some of them were really filled with eggs, or jizz, or whatever that milky gooey stuff is.  Oh welll, they still tasted all right.
 Secret beach in Bolinas area.  Email me and I'll tell you how to find it.  Or facebook me?  It's rocky but secluded.

 Rock man with seaweed for a hand

 There's a new cafe in the Pt. Reyes Station vicinity, as if that town could get any cooler.  It's Marin Sun Farms - owned by a 4th generation Pt. Reyes rancher.  This is their burger, which comes standard with bacon and cheddar, and fries fried in lard.  This was very, very good and I love the atmosphere of this place (you can eat outside sitting on hay bales), however, it was excessively rich.  I'm already eating a giant burger, I don't need you to soak the delicious pretzel bun in butter and fry the fries in lard.  Oh well, it was still awesome.  They also have other stuff such as lamb burgers with lamb bacon and a merguez sandwich.  And a good bottled beer selection.  They even have Blue Bottle coffee! Pt. Reyes is total yuppie heaven.

After the jump, I'll tell you a cool story with a tasteful, small NSFW picture that you probably won't get in trouble for looking at...


 OK, so we've had that photo on the bottom framed in our bathroom for at least a year.  I got it at the Pt. Reyes bookstore (which is a good one, although not as cheap as the crazy donation one in Bolinas) in a literary journal from the Pt. Reyes area from the '70s called "Floating Island".  I bought a copy that was all fucked up so I didn't mind cutting it up and framing the picture.  I've looked at it thousands of times, and wondered about the lady in it and the circumstances.  On Saturday, I was again in the Pt. Reyes bookstore and I decided to buy a different issue of Floating Island (I think only 3 ever came out) even though at 15 bucks it was kind of expensive, but it  had more pictures that I might want to frame.  I started chatting with the clerk about it, and mentioned I had a framed picture and she said "that's me!"  I stared at her in shock and realized indeed it was.  It was taken in 1974 when she was 22.  She still looks great!  She even told me where it was taken, in the cemetery near Pt. Reyes lighthouse.  She said she used to always go hang out there when she needed time alone.  She alluded to some pretty wild times in that area in the 70s, including some experimental theater and who knows what else.
 OK, no big deal, grilled cheese, but it's on some of my favorite bread in the world, Brickmaiden bread made right in Pt. Reyes, and it has Bellwether Farms San Andreas cheese on it, which is one of my fave California cheeses.  It's made with sheep milk.


7 comments:

ducko said...

yo beckler - if yer gonna eat dem oysters you gotta know the rules. RULE #1 - oysters in "R" months only. They start to breed or whatever oysters do in their spare time in non-"R" months and they become gooey and, well, jizzy.

Anonymous said...

Such an awesome story! I have totally seen that woman at the bookstore too, and I recall thinking that she seemed kinda awesome.

-heckamax

Stephen Glass said...

Beckler, you still have time (June 18th) to make to the 21st Annual Arcata Bay Oyster Festival:
http://www.oysterfestival.net/about.html
... celebrating the bay in which more than two-thirds of California's oysters come from, where people travel to come up all the way from the Bay Area and miles around to eat around 18,000 oysters (a number even greater than the human population of Arcata) in all forms. I've never missed one, and you should make it!
No excuses!

beckler said...

It's so crazy to me that I've never been to Arcata. I know I would like it, after all, it's where weed and bigfoot come from.

I think year round oysters are ok (or at least late spring oysters), they just taste different, not bad. Only a few of them were really "creamy" and those still taste good, the texture is just a bit off-putting. But really, the overall texture of an oyster is already a bit of a sticky wicket.

Anonymous said...

I am flabbergasted that you found, met and talked about the naked picture with the lady from the bathroom photo! Syncronicity of a high order. My mind is blown.

Ella

beckler said...

her mind was blown that I had it hanging up, my mind was blown that it was her. minds were blown.

Stephen Glass said...

Ah, Sticky Wicket -- my single favorite Sacramento bar name. Too bad it's kind of a lame bar.
Yes, weed (free, more or less), bigfoot (and people tracking bigfoot) and lots and lots of oysters and dungeness crab. Other than black helicopters, what's not to like?