Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hana Tsubaki review

There were some postings on chowhound.com about Hana Tsubaki's bad service and then someone pointed out this article in the Bee in which the food got a good review but the service got a thumbs down. On that note, I have kind of stopped eating at Andy Nguyen's cuz their terrible service gets on my nerves and I have heard some complaints about Taka's as well. Also, a lot of my food last time I ate at Andy's was burnt and probably shouldn't have been served to me. I guess these older downtown restaurants aren't used to all the business they're getting, but it shouldn't take them so long to figure it out. I usually don't mind waiting, it's just annoying when things are all disorganized and chaotic. Like having to ask a few times just to get a beer while you're waiting forever for your food. Get it together, people!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hana Tsubaki is Sacramento's best kept secret.

it's so pretty inside, the food is delicious, yet it's more reasonable than most sushi joints downtown.

i've never had exceptionally poor service there. it may take a little while to get your water refilled and the wait staff isn't overly friendly, but, it's never been bad either.

Anonymous said...

i just want to agree that hana tsubaki is one of my favorites in the country. I pine for it in NY and eat there always when i am home. plus they give you pickled cabage for free...yum. and you never have to wait long for anything there.
alicia

Anonymous said...

Alls I can say is the Butteryaki RULES! And so does the owner....

Brew

Anonymous said...

we ate at the Waterboy last week and had the slowest service ever.

an hour and a half til appitizers?

luckily we were chatting and wine was getting brought promtly (for those that were into that sort of thing)

-head

beckler said...

I didn't want to give the impression that I agreed with that Bee review. I haven't had that problem at Hana Tsubaki. And, in general, I don't care about slow service. I don't ever go out to dinner when I'm in a hurry to do something else. It's usually my plan for the night. What bugs me is when things are all frantic and disorganized (Andy Nguyen) or when they do shit like forget your beer (can you tell the beer part is very important to me?) or bring everything out at the same time (appetizers and entrees). Basically, when they do anything to interrupt the leisurely pace of the meal.

Anonymous said...

Did you guys pay a visit to Hana Tsubaki lately? Got some new people there. Very friendly, nice smile. But I wonder..... how long will they stay?!

Anonymous said...

Hana's is not a secret to anyone who has lived in Sacramento for decades -like me. It is one the most authentic and very reasonably priced restaurants in town. Hana Tsubaki is my favorite lunch stop -the service is fast for quality restaurant food and one of the few restaurants that you can drive to, eat and get back to work within the hour. If anyone needs a faster lunch, then stop at any greasy fast food drive through and leave Hana's to us!