Friday, June 10, 2005

It's the beginning of the end and I'm already breaking down

If this blog post about last night were modelled on the movie "Memento" and it began at the end and proceeded to the beginning then it would seem like my night was awesome, really lame, and then awesome again.

End: stoned, drunk, watching an amazing T. Rex video with Heckamax and the Armeniac. It blew my mind. Marc Bolan was so fine, I asked D.P. how tall he was and then commanded him to lie to me so that I could pretend he was tall. He was wearing a shirt with his own face on it. With a shiny blazer and his hair was so cool. In fact, I think it would be safe to say that he had the universe reclining in his hair. Everyone in the audience looked rad and all the glam little girls were losing their shit. I think the video was interspersed with parts where Marc Bolan and Ringo Starr were spouting gibberish, and Elton John was playing the piano, but I'm not sure that really happened.

Middle: I just edited this part to maintain some semblance of dignity. Let's just say it involved lowered inhibitions and a phone and it was lame. Not something I would normally do. Wait, now I've made it sound like phone sex. I wish it was phone sex. Phone sex doesn't usually involve crying, though.

How did I arrive at this state? What happened to me earlier in the evening? Well....it all started at the Waterboy. Between the three of us (Miller, Tess, me of course) we brought three bottles of wine. We ended up figuring out the corkage policy, in which if you buy one bottle of wine from the Waterboy, then they waive the corkage fee for a bottle that you have brought. So we started the dinner with one of their cheaper chardaonnays. The bottle of wine was $26, and the bottle we brought was about ten, so we ended up getting two bottles of wine for 36 bucks, not bad. The service was slow as molasses all night but because of our witty, sparkling repartee we barely noticed. As the wine continued to flow my repartee became less and less witty and sparkling but at least I didn't end up telling someone that I had to go number two or talk about pooping as I can tend to do when I have overimbibed. We ordered a small deviled egg appetizer. It came in a cute ceramic dish and they gave us special forks. Really good deviled eggs with flecks of bacon or pancetta. Miller and I started out with the pickled beet salad, which was spectacular. It had a few different colors of pickled beets, a few arugula leaves, a few slivers of hard sheepsmilk cheese drizzled with a shallot pancetta viniagrette. It looked beautiful and the flavors mingled well. Tess had the seared scallop appetizer. Buttery and delicious. Well, I won't bore you with the description of the rest of the dinner but I'll just say that every single thing we all ordered was delicious. Once again, this place is the best. My next goal is to get a burger there at lunch.

Two hours and two bottles of wine later we wobbled over to the patio at the Rubicon and proceeded to polish off two pitchers of pomegranate cider (with the help of Mike Banana and Conway who strolled by). This may sound gross to you, but it was not overly sweet and my hangover is not that bad, considering. If we would have had Rubicon beer instead I probably would not have made it into work today.

The end...Or is it the beginning?

See, this post had all the excitement of Memento without the skeletal cheekbones. Two thumbs up!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waterboy sounds GOOOD.

Just wait til we get to poinsettia, if we can keep our food cold enough not to go bad, we might just live through this vacation!

There ain't no corkage fee at the saloon neither.

Anonymous said...

Pomegranate MEAD

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, I prefer the term honey wine, pomegranate honey wine. HA! Just kidding. Mead is so much better. If only pomegranate mead was so much better.

Corvus Conway

beckler said...

Now I get to make the joke again about putting the ME back in MEAD. I love that joke. I'm sure I made it fifty times at your wedding.

Anonymous said...

My Friends Show Hopping. A one-act play by Scott Miller

The scene: A beautiful Friday night, the show at Fox & Goose has just finished & people are gathering outside.

Friend 1: Should we go to the Bananas/Lyme Regis show now?

Friend 2: Mmmm, nah, I don't feel like it now.

Friend 1: Yeah, me neither.

Anonymous said...

another not abotu sac post, but
there was a premier of the new t-rex movie at the sunshine last night and NY regalia of glam rockers were out in full force.
just thought of you and how much you might have appreciated the outfits, as johnny and i did.
xoxo
alicia

Anonymous said...

Who's finer? Syd Barrett (67-68 pre-insane) or Marc Bolan? I say Syd but...its close.

Tess

beckler said...

How tall is Syd?

vargaso said...

I only read the first paragraph of this.