Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Japanamento.

Wow is blogger ever being annoying.

P-fork has a link to a new chkchkchk mp3 and tour info. Turns out they are going to be playing Tokyo like two days before the Bananas do! Congratulations to chkchkchk on the new album and giant tour! And yes, that's right, the Bananas are going to Japan, too and so are me and GW!! This is very exciting. Me and GW are going to Tokyo only cuz that's how I like to roll travelwise and because it will be cheaper. A week in the second biggest city in the world sounds better than a week spent trying to visit a bunch of places and not getting to know anyplace. I could use advice from those who have been on things not to miss, besides ramen, which I will be eating 24/7. March is a very cheap time to visit, I am seeing some great airfare deals out there. I assume that is because it will be freezing.

I ate at Aioli for my romance column last night and it was very very fun. They really need to get more props for their wine list. It is the most interesting yet relatively compact one that I can think of at any downtown place. And I like how the owner has a section for her favorites. I wish they had it online because I know next to nothing about Spanish reds (and a smidge more than nothing on whites) so I could use some help deciphering the list. Also, can someone tell me what the hell a super tuscan is? I keep seeing that term and it's very funny. We also stopped at 58 degrees and I was really liking their current white selection. On a monday night at 7 it was relatively empty and we got a comfortable seat at the bar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got tickets to japan from here and they were pretty cheap:

http://www.iace-usa.com/index_us.htm

-greg

Anonymous said...

The short story is that a supertuscan is a wine made in tuscany from the Sangiovese grape blended with Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. Doing this breaks the Denominazione Origine Controlatta (DOC) rules which say the traditional tuscan wine, Chianti, should be Sangiovese blended with Canaiolo. It used to be that even wines made from 100% Sangiovese were also breaking the rules, and thus called Supertuscans (Montevertine's Le Pergola Torte is the classic example of this), but the DOC rules have changd to embrace this practice, as well as the introduction of Cab S and Merlot in small quantities.

-michele

Anonymous said...

P.S. Charles! If you are still in a Woody Allen phase, rent Interiors!!! It's so good.

-m

beckler said...

So you saw Interiors as part of the Sven Nyquist retrospective, is that right? I didn't know he died. He was a great one. P.S.-Rocky Balboa rules. If you liked Rocky, go see it. If you didn't like Rocky then you are beyond help.

Unknown said...

actually, March is a most awesome time to visit!

from mid month on, the whole country will be blooming with cherry blossoms!! (bring allergy medicine but they`re gorgeous).

start googling regional foods. Toyko is a bit different than the rest of Japan since it`s so huge. there are loads of ethnic restaurants you can`t find anywhere else in the country. but, each region of Japan offers specialties. Fukuoka, where i`m at, has this amazing pork ramen that`S famous in Hakata. Kumamoto, where Jay is, is famous for horse shashimi (basashi).