Wednesday, January 31, 2007

can I wipe my hands on the monkey fur?


Yummy Ethiopian beer
Originally uploaded by mlovitt.

Wow, you really CAN find anything on the internet, including a grainy picture of the Ethiopian beer I drank last night. It was great. I found this because I was composing a post about the Queen of Sheba. If Queen of Sheba wrote an autobiography it would be called "Why I Am The Best". I constantly change what the name of my autobiography would be but lately I am leaning towards "I feel bad...." because about half of my sentences start with a reason I feel bad. Not physically, here's an example. I feel bad I said/wrote that dumb thing. I feel bad I didn't call this person. Sooo...Queen of Sheba is now officially open and has picked up the pace a little bit, but I would still leave over an hour for your meal. That's OK because you can spend the time checking out the excellent decorations and listening to the groovin music. Last night they brought us a plate of honey cornbread to apologize for being slow and that is now the only kind of apology I will take, so be warned, if you fuck me over you had better start bakin'. They also have honey wine, which is crazy stuff. It's strong and tastes more like a liquor, so I would save it for after the meal. It doesn't really pair with the food. I chickened out on the raw meat again but soon I'll try it! The Doro Wat (chicken stew with hardboiled egg) is the bomb, as are the lentils and collard greens. Last night the lamb and beef was just so so. This rad website tells you about a typical Ethiopian meal in a charming way.

How a Dinner is Served in Ethiopia
A meal in Ethiopia is an experience. When you have dinner in an Ethiopian home or restaurant, you eat the tablecloth!
One or two of the guests are seated on a low comfortable divan and a mesab, a handmade wicker hourglass-shaped table with a designed domed cover is set before them. The other guests are then seated round the table on stools about eight inches high covered with monkey fur.
A tall, stunning woman with characteristically high cheekbones and soft skin, dressed in a shama, carries a long-spouted copper ewer or pitcher in her right hand, a copper basin (which looks like a spittoon) in her left hand, and a towel over her left arm. She pours warm water over the fingers of your right hand, holding the basin to catch the excess, and you wipe your hands on the towel that hangs over her arm.
The mesab is taken out of the room and returned shortly with the domed cover. She removes the dome and the table is covered with what looks like a gray cloth overlapping the edge of a huge tray. But it is not a "tablecloth" at all. It is the Injera, the sourdough pancake-like bread of Ethiopia. Food is brought to the table in enamel bowls and portioned out on the "tablecloth!" When the entire Injera is covered with an assortment of stews, etc., you tear off a piece about two or three inches square and use this to "roll" the food in-the same way you would roll a huge cigarette. Then just swoop it up and pop it into your mouth. Your host might "pop" the first little "roll" in your mouth for you. It takes a bit of doing to accomplish this feat but once you master it, you cannot help enjoy It.
Our server returns with individual long-necked bottles from which you drink Tej, an amber-colored honey wine. It is put on a little table close by. Or she may bring a weakly carbonated water or Tella, the homemade beer.
You learn that you are eating Chicken Wat and Lamb Wat-two peppery stews- Iab-cottage cheese and yogurt with special herbs giving it an acidic lemon flavor; and Kitfo-ground raw beef, which we are told is considered the dessert of the meal.
No other dessert is served. Coffee comes in on a tray in tiny Japanese cups served black with sugar.
Dinner is concluded with hand-washing again and incense is burned.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say Wat?

-miller

beckler said...

any culture that has ground raw beef for desert is all right with me.

beckler said...

jesus christ, you commented practically before i posted, it's like you're reading my mind. it's like we're one person in two hardbodies. it's like we're mary kate and ashley olsen rolled up into one.

beckler said...

ethiopian orthodox christians fast on wednesdays and fridays! jesus would hate that.

Josh said...

Harar is good beer.

Stephen Glass said...

The Blue Nile in Berkeley has great honey wine. Oh, and the food's pretty good as well.
But I went to this Ethiopian restaurant in D.C. that was great, and there were a whole buch of guys outside chewing Qat. Which I've always wanted to try.

beckler said...

wat's qat?

Stephen Glass said...

Wat? You haven't heard?
Qat, or Khat, are leaves that give you a decent buzz, apparently, which are very popular in East Africa.
Why, read more:
http://www.drugs.com/npp/khat.html

beckler said...

this just in from heyamoto, twisted 88s has closed, making it the first place that i have reviewed that's closed down. here's what she said on the bee's "entertainment" "blog" (hey i'm bored)

This just in: Well, Ok, it's not just in, but it's close enough. Twisted 88s, the much-adoed new dueling piano bar, will play no more. After just a couple months throwing out all the Billy Joel that Sacramento could apparently take, Twisted 88s has been transformed into Azukar, a purportedly chic, Miami Beach-inspired lounge at the J Street location. The limited grand opening is this weekend, and unless I'm otherwise engaged, I'll be there with bells. Or, at least, a cocktail.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm way tired of the word lounge. Apparently a typical day in the life of a hip, urban Sacramentan starts at the coffee lounge, then on to the shopping lounge, the sandwich lounge, the hardware lounge, the sushi lounge, the wine lounge & finally, the movie lounge. Then home to the loft.

-miller

beckler said...

to lounge! in luxury. there's the new catch phrase. luxury loft lounging. in lingerie, perhaps

beckler said...

speaking of lounging:

http://www.parlarelounge.com/

Anonymous said...

I just realized that Twisted 88s closing means I'll never have another stonerific bite of cheeseburger pizza! Unless maybe there's a cheeseburger pizza lounge somewhere in Sac that I don't know about.

miller

beckler said...

i'll make you a cheeseburger pizza. bam! you're a cheeseburger pizza. (picture me dressed as a wizard with a magic wand in my hand)

and thus the weakest joke ever was told

Anonymous said...

Fine, I'll picture you in a wizard costume as long as I can also picture that last line booming from the sky in the voice of God.

I know, some of you may be thinking, "jeez dogs, get a room". We have a bunch of rooms but they're all full of crap in boxes right now.

beckler said...

you can put crap in my box anytime.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to add to that.

-miller

Stephen Glass said...

Whatevah. Watt Avenue. Get a room!

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I was at Queen of Sheba last night too. I got a combo to go.

I'm willing to give it another chance or twenty, but I dare say that Addis Ababa on Alta Arden is better.

Miss B

Jackson Griffith said...

I'm with above. Haven't tried Queen of Sheba in its new location, but I'm familiar with it in its Howe Avenue incarnation. I think Addis Ababa, on Alta Arden Expressway just west of Fulton Avenue, across from Target, is a slight notch above Sheba.

beckler said...

I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

you must really be down with the queen, because they weren't serving beer or honey wine to anyone else as of last friday.