Tuesday, January 16, 2007

oysterfest 2007!

1) I finished the Magic Mountain! It ended quite stirringly. Alice or anyone else who never finished it (and I'm sure you are legion), email me if you want the spoiler. I immediately embarked upon the House of Mirth, which immediately embarked upon a campaign of stereotyping Jews. I'll give it a chance, but that has made me mad right off. Oh look at the poor rich people and their sad problems, and laugh at the ridiculous, striving Jews trying to be a part of polite society.

2)Stockton was officially off the chain. I have a whole new wardrobe and a new persona to go along with it, mostly centered around a giant Capricorn medallion and a goat leather jacket. It's kinda Serpico so I will probably get some mirrored sunglasses, too and I might be wired up and taping all our conversations and you might possibly end up convicted under the RICO statutes. Sorry, it's my new persona! Delta thrift was like the thrift store you're in when you're having that shopping dream about the best thrift store in the world (you've had that dream, right?). Manny's was more delicious than ever this time. You really need to order the right stuff at Manny's because not everything is equally good. The manny's dog was the best dog I've ever had and the catfish sandwich was delicious. The fries are amazing, too.

3)Now is the time for you to go get oysters at the farmer's market. Five of us ate 95 of them at Oysterfest 2007 (TM). Kumamotos, which are very creamy but too small right now and were the other ones Monterey Bay? Those were the good ones. The few we couldn't finish on the half shell Willy deepfried in butter. And no stomach upset whatsoever although I heard a rumor that someone's poop smelled like the ocean after. I think that's a good thing. Here are two tips, one buy a proper oyster knife from the oyster guy it makes all the difference and two if the oyster is even a little dry inside it's bad. Just throw it out. It might not be bad enough to make you sick but it will taste bad and coat your mouth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stockton is off the hook for souladelic Superfly threads. Dunno how much thrifting you've done down there,, and dunno if it's still around, but the Veteran's Outlet on Harding Way (just west of where West Lane turns into Airport Way, before the SP underpass and the Catholic cemetery) is pretty topnotch. Also check Wilson Way and East Main.

Anonymous said...

Beckler, those other oysters were from Pt. Reyes.

JBG- I think I know your Wilson Way/East Main thrift store, but I'm actually thinking the other one is gone. I'll check next time I'm there.
One of my faves is gone, thrift center on Waterloo. We didn't even get to go to Salvation Army. Next time!
If you are tired of seeing hipsters at the thrift store, don't worry, it's not going to happen to you in Stockton.

Ella

Anonymous said...

Oh! JBG, You said Harding! Not Pershing! I always get those two mixed up. Yes, the Veterans Outlet is still going strong, but it's just "The Outlet" on the sign. We didn't go there on this trip.

Ella

Anonymous said...

That's thing about Realism and Naturalism...warts and all depictions of social conventions at the time.

Alice said...

becky,

i'll read another 50 pages or so and then get you to fill in the middle and the end. i stopped at page 210 about a year ago. . .

also, i think the house of mirth will just continue to piss you off so you might want to read it quickly. it's hard to find anyone sympathetic in that novel