Monday, October 11, 2010

Brewer and Shipley, an appreciation

Time to choose the movie for MidMoMoNi, which, is a week from tomorrow, October 19th. Vote at right. We have: John Carpenter's The Thing with FINE ASS Kurt Russell or

The Haunting, the filmed version of Shirley Jackson's superdupycreepyscary book "The Haunting of Hill House". The movie is also totally frightening. Not that many movies actually scare me, maybe 10 ever filimed, and this is one of them.


Let's move on to an appreciation of two kind bros, Brewer and Shipley. Can I just say that it's a great injustice that they are mostly only known for the crap-ass song "one toke over the line". There is so much more to them than that song. This song below isn't one of their best either but I beg of you to just watch it until 27 seconds in to see something awesome. Then I don't care if you keep watching after that.
I think Shipley is the cute one

See, pretty cute and look at that shirt and vest combo
Here's the obligatory 60s shot of the band with some poor kid that is probably majorly in therapy, or maybe that's Courtney Love, who knows? It kind of looks like her. Maybe she just wandered through many album photo shoots.
This album rules. I got it at Burger. The only questionable choice is a cover of "all along the watchtower" and believe it or not it's not even that bad.
This album has TWO songs with the word "lady" in the title. That is a clue to how good it is.
Look at the font and handwriting
In addition to "oh sweet lady" there's a song called "lady like you". In the thank yous they thank a lot of ladies.

Curry pan from Maharoba
Anpan Man and he's filled with eggy chocolate pudding
Not to get all hunter angler on you, but last night we ate venison that our neighbor gave us. This is a backstrap cut. It was the bloodiest smelling meat I have ever smelled.
I browned it, and then braised it for a bit in beef broth and red wine, not very long.
I reduced that sauce and it was pretty good, I maybe overcooked the venison just a tad bit but there were morsels by the bone that were amazingly good. Now my house smell like venison.

8 comments:

Liv Moe said...

voted

Anonymous said...

How do I vote for the original 1951 Thing? Dang technology.

-omf

and don't forget that the Wild and Wonderful Whites is at the Crest October 28

beckler said...

you're confusing me!

Snufkin said...

I read Jackson's book in high school & it's probably my alltime favorite ghost story. And the movie made totally made me shriek @ Katy's birthday screening.

Mmm, I used to go to parties when I was in school where the host would smoke venison he'd hunted. Smoked venison & a couple shots of tequila make from a pretty good party.

beckler said...

"man is the warmest place to hide" is an awesome tag line

Liv Moe said...

when i was a kid my half bro made venison hotdogs. they were good despite my childhood phobia of wieners.

Anonymous said...

I think Brewer is the cute one.
-Jed

Anonymous said...

I think the music is the cute one.