Friday, October 01, 2010

mmm...galliano milkshake

I taught a workshop last night on food writing for Sac Press and it went really well! Phew, a load off my mind. Last night I learned how important it is when you're up in front of people to have a few people who look interested and engaged, and are nodding and smiling. It's like water in the desert. It ended up being fun, especially when the students shared their writing.

Even better was getting a golden cadillac at the Back Door Lounge after. When I inquired if they make them, the bartender (Nick), said "we sure do, not many people order those anymore".

We stumbled on this shoot-em-up gallery in old sac. It's automated and it stole two bucks from Liv! That's Old Sac for you, hustling the rubes.
Here's Paul Collins during his set at Phono Select.

This is hilarious! It's a giant house on 10th street that has been completely sprayed orange. They got the sidewalks, the gutters, the address numbers, they did everything but spray the windows the color of Cheetos. The thing that's not hilarious is that they also ripped up the giant patch of prickly pears in front that must have been many, many years old. They left one small one.
I love my shoe guy on 10th and T. Yesterday he gravely quoted me the price of five bucks to fix a sandal, as if that would be too much. It's a sandal he has already repaired once. I have my fingers crossed.
June's! Man, so delicious. And it was really hopping yesterday, which gladdens my heart.
Chicken katsu, before I poured on the katsu sauce. I never had to eat dinner because this lunch was so hearty.
Dennis, hard at work
This weekend is ORMF:X. Is there any tentative schedule? I want to make sure to catch Buk Buk Bigups.

Did you guys catch the segment on This American Life about the origin of the flop in basketball? They investigated the commonly held belief that it stems from Vlade.

20 comments:

Cody said...

I've been looking for a good shoe guy, and had no idea where to start. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Look at that macaroni salad! I wish I had a plate of it right now!!

EC

beckler said...

you should print your recipe! ec has been working on duplicating june's salad from her home base in southern california.

Anonymous said...

I need to make it perfectly about 5 more times in a row before I post the recipe. Then I'll know it's right. After the batch I made at Mono which was just alright, I had a total breakthrough and I think I've really got it - finally!

I will say this - June boils those elbow macaroni for a long time, rinses them in cold water and then she lets them drain in a collander for a long time - like 45 minutes.

Really, that is the secret. Well, that and Pepper!

EC

Anonymous said...

Beware that 10th street shoe guy- I took a pair of boots over there to be resoled a couple of onths ago- he charged me $50, did the job in a couple of days. I wear the boots three times, a heel falls off while I'm walking.

I go back to him, he says he'll fix it- puts a couple of staples in both heels, says that'll fix it.
I wear the boots twice more and the other heel is coming off.

At this point the soles and heels don't fit together properly because they're worn down differently because everything was coming apart while I was wearing them.

I went back and asked him if i could get a partial refund (just cost of the labor) since I can't really wear shoes that are falling apart as i walk. His answer: just bring them back whenever they fall off and I'll fix it for free. No refund. I was so pissed I tossed the boots on his counter, told him to keep them. Worst customer service ever- fuck that guy.

-omf

beckler said...

i paid 40 to have my frye boots resoled and they have been fine, although he put kinda funny, rubbery soles on them, but then again, i neglected to inquire which soles he would be putting on them. they've been fine.

i've also used him for lots of cheap sandal fixes.

Count Mockula said...

He resoled my husband's Tevas for $5 and fixed the stitching on my Docs for the same. They've all been fine since. I'll go back when I need shoe repair again.

Anonymous said...

If Vlade didn't invent the flop, he damn near perfected it.
Stephen Glass

DJ Rick said...

Ormf 10 lineup
1.AIDS Wolf- 9:30- 10
2.Big Black Cloud- 8:55- 9:20
3.Mattress- 8:20- 8:45
4.Greg Ashley- 7:40-8:10
5.Wounded Lion- 7:00-7:30
6.Super Wild Horses- 6:20-6:45
7.The Ganglians- 5:40- 6:10
8.Dreamdate- 5:00-5:25
9. Young Prisms- 4:30-4:55
10.Buk Buk Bigups- 3:50-4:20
11.Psychic reality- 3:20-3:45
12.Random Abiladeze- 2:40-3:15
13.Didimao- 2:00-2:30

Liv Moe said...

You're milkshake was hella good!

- Liv "screw-you-old-sac" Moe

Anonymous said...

what if you were married to someone who wears tevas?

wburg said...

What happened at the shooting gallery? Did the tokens not work or something?

Personally I appreciate some of the cheesy aspects of Old Sacramento, and really like the fact that there is again a videogame arcade there, and a fake old-timey bar with player piano, 25 cent sarsparilla, and peanuts and sawdust on the floor. Recently read an article about Atlantic City and how it is basically a mall now with generic mall stores--especially sad considering the nostalgic view of Atlantic City's glory days seen in HBO's "Boardwalk Empire." The article lamented the loss of tackiness (replaced with corporatist icons) and even the lack of salt water taffy.

word verification: "gallygoo." I think there is a place in Old Sac that sells gallygoo.

Liv Moe said...

Basically, the shooting game just stole my two bucks without letting me play. After it took my two dollars I looked around and noticed that every other one said out of order so like half of them "worked." Wah, wah

River City Saloon seemed cooler to me during Gold Rush Days. When we were there the other night there was a distinct douche bag/bro vibe that began with the bartender's surprised expression at my rejecting the 2$ shot that was offered with my Pabst.

I just followed that Golden Cadillac link Beckler. Do you suppose you had #1 or #2?

The Armeniac said...

I've always had good experiences w/the 10st shoe repair guy. Seems boot heels aren't his bag, but he fixes little things for a fair price.

Bummed that I never saw that that fantastic shot em' up gallery!I would totally pay two bucks to be ripped off by whoever built that!

beckler said...

tevas can be resoled. my mom has had hers resoled before. as you probably all know, tevas are the only shoe my mom owns. sometimes worn with nylons on special occasions!

slaliberte said...

I miss my 10th st. hood soo much. The shoe guy never did me wrong, in fact I paid him in cookies and oranges once. The orange house is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Foster vs. the shoe guy! Best Sac rivalry in years!

-miller

Anonymous said...

he only THINKS he's older than me.

-omf

Anonymous said...

That shoe guy rules! Last time I was in Sacto, he sold me a gently-thrown pair of Beatle Boots for just $51!

-- Patrone

beckler said...

I don't know, I once heard the shoe guy diss the Sonics. He called them overrated, and then he went on a long diatribe about how he loves to get stoned and listen to Fleetwood Mac.