Friday, October 08, 2010

yakitori story

Despite the fact that this image from Alice Sweet Alice looks like it would be really scary, it's really just bizarre and dumb, so we will not be screening that movie for you at MidMoMoNi on October 19th.

I'm still getting tomatoes! One plant, I think it's a brandywine, just started busting out now.
Last night we made grilled yakitori and pork/napa cabbage gyoza. I got both recipes from the cooking class I took at Whole Foods.

I soaked the skewers for a day, which kept them from catching on fire.
Here are the chicken thighs, marinating in sake,mirin, soy, and gin and juice, er ginger juice.
snacks
the gyoza have shitake chopped up in there. shitake add such a funky, earthy taste. I love 'em. They're part of what make the sui mai at Red Lotus so fucking good.
A key factor: beer.
Here's the gyoza filling, ground pork, garlic, shitake, scallion, soy, chopped ginger, mirin, sesame oil. Not pictured: chopped napa cabbage.
The pickle man stopped by and made a delivery. Look at that brine! That is the good shit.
When making gyoza, it is best to have at least four sets of hands.
We made about 50 of them in no time at all.
It's best to have a non-stick pan, but I don't have one, so that means that you have to watch them carefully and not evaporate all the water. Some stuck, but I used a spatula and it was no big deal. They cook really quickly. They are really shockingly easy to make.
mmm....glistening dumplings
here's the yakitori, hot off the grill
Skipper also made two kinds of salads, this seaweed one was totally pro. I would order it in a restaurant.
and broccoli
for dessert (and breakfast): peanut butter mochi from osaka ya

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I could get over to your house right now, I'd eat every last leftover!

ec

beckler said...

the dumplings are actually quite good this morning. i already ate all of them for breakfast. they are no luscious dumplings, but then again, nothing is.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you forgot to put in the opium when you were making them.

ec

Anonymous said...

If I ever end up on death row, I want you and Skipper to make my last meal.

-Conwad

beckler said...

done and done!

wburg said...

So what is the movie for MidMoMoNi?

Anonymous said...

Ha, just got the TVP's ref!
-W