Friday, October 29, 2010

wild weekend

That's Wild and Wonderful Whites director Julian Nitzberg with OMF (ha! I wrote OMG accidentally). His Q and A afterwards went a long way towards alleviating any queasiness I felt at the exploitative nature of this type of documentary. He has known the White family for 20 years and has a great affinity for them. He even got a semi-angry comment from a man who lives in West Virginia (he said he wished Nitzberg had shown the other side of West Virginia) and he diffused the tension handily by pointing out the pains he had taken to say that the Whites don't represent every family, and then ended by saying something along the lines of "Is that OK, or do you still think I'm an asshole?"

His story of being hit on by every female (and one male) in the White clan was pretty funny. He barely made it out alive.

There is SO MUCH going on this weekend it's really crazy. Tonight at the Hub, MOM is playing and Nitzberg mentioned he would be there. I think he's a fan. Tomorrow, Bows and Arrows is having a crazy 50% off sale!! Nuts. Have you watched their video from Fox 40 yet? It's on the blog at right.

Also tomorrow (and today) Jennie Krausse is holding a crazy estate sale at a mansion in Granite Bay. I totally thought I would go but I don't think I can. I'm missing my chance to increase my velvet caftan collection. Speaking of crazy, Krausse is pretty out there with her descriptions, and the music on the video makes it unintentionally funny. Her intention is to honor the family.

On Saturday, there's The Bananas/Four Eyes show in SF.

Sunday, MOBS is having a scary movie marathon, culminating in a showing of Night Of The Living Dead. Classic!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I would have thought of the movie as exploitive if they weren't so damn proud of themselves and their ways. I mean they were really really into being who they are and wanted the world to know it. Did you think Sue Bob was a transvestite? I did.
jamattack!

Liv Moe said...

jam, by Sue Bob are you referring to the self-proclaimed "hottest" one in the family?

beckler said...

Here's an op-ed from the director about the issues:

http://www.dailymail.com/Opinion/Commentary/201008110750

Lurch said...

I was at the Granite Bay sale yesterday - thus, why I didn't go to WWWOWV. But this weekend is the first of two weekends - next weekend they'll be opening up the mansion (I think) and it will be entirely different stuff. This weekend's is more limited in volume, but is mostly vintage stuff. It's pretty picked over after yesterday, though, but if you're up for a drive, it's a pretty neat place. And Jennie's pretty great!

There's also the Urban Flea Market & 20th Century Show tomorrow on Del Paso. Info is at www.schiffestateservices.com

Anonymous said...

I believe you mean 'sexiest'. Thousands have told her so, and god help me if she didn't have some pretty awesome stripper moves.
Also, her boobs were fake, right?
jamattack!

beckler said...

i think her boobs were real.

i wanted to ask julian if he ever saw her strip. and why jesco doesn't have any kids.

liv, is he sitting next to you right now?

Liv Moe said...

alas no... he is most likely still asleep knowing julien.

from the earlier Jesco footage my guess about the no kids thing would probably have something to do with his long time wife - who seemed to be out of the picture in last night's movie - being considerably older than him.

during some of the bar scenes i kept thinking of lady dayrage jokes to whisper to jam but i was too startled by 90% of what was on screen to crack wise.

Snufkin said...

It's sitting in my Netflix queue & I haven't seen it yet, so can't really pass judgement. But anecdotally, yeah the fastest way to get people's backs up is to evoke the stereotype. And it can be knee jerk, especially if somebody comes from a background just 1 or 2 generations into the middle class.

Parallel, but Matt Bondurant's The Wettest County in the World is half oral history/half fiction about his grandfather and great uncle's moonshine operation during the Depression. Supposedly John Hilcoat and Nick Cave are planning to make it into a movie. Great book but after I read it, I did have the thought about whether I was buying into romanticizing it because it was old Timey and during the Depression. Like would I feel the same if I were reading it about somebody contemporary running a meth lab? So I can see people making the same argument about this movie. But again, haven't seen it yet so can't pass judgement.

Count Mockula said...

I could really use some velvet caftans, but without knowing whether the chick was a tiny waif or a big farm girl like me, I don't really want to drive to Granite Bay. Any size hints, Lurch?

Anonymous said...

I loved the Wettest County In The World. I took it for entertainment first, factual stuff a distant second. As for the Whites movie, it is one that I am not sure I can exactly recommend. I'll never be able to forget the snorting, huffing, fussing and fighting.

Ed