Friday, May 13, 2011

Summer Approacheth

It's weird how blogger keeps swallowing my post from yesterday then puking it back up and swallowing it again.  Kind of disgusting when I put it that way.


 So yeah, I'm pouring at the brewfest tonight.  I'm singing that to the tune of "running with the devil" in my head.  It's going to be that badass.  Or maybe I will rue the day I ever said I would do it.  Or maybe some combination of the two. 
Speaking of brew, I had a couple of real refreshers at The Shack last night.  Perfect for the approach of summer.  This is the 1809 Berlinerweiss  I would kind of like a case of this stuff.  Although I think I prefer the Bruery Berlinerweiss (called Hottenroth) probably because it's more lactic and less subtle, and as an American subtlety is hard for me.  Anyway this brew was so active and bubbly that it put Champagne to shame.  For shame, Champagne.  It was almost frightening to watch the intensity of the bubbling and frothing.

Gary even has some woodruff syrup to add to the brew, which is traditional.  I didn't add enough this time to really get the cotton candy flavor I got when I tried it at the Bruery.  Matt, are you reading?  You love cotton candy! I thought of you when I went to the drive in to see Thor and at the box office they asked if I would like any cotton candy.  The guy also said "just you?" as if I was hiding someone in my trunk.  What, a girl can't go to the drive in by herself?
This beauty is cursed with a silver label, which I think makes beer look cheap.  Also, it is not priced and it's not up on the beer board.  So she is being sorely underappreciated.  Turned out she's $6.50 - fine by me.  She came all the way from Corsica.  When was the last time you had a Corsican beer?  The 12th of never?  She's a very low alcohol white beer who is brewed with tree strawberry, juniper, and myrtle.  Of course my delicate palate detected all of that, it's not that I read it right here.  Bellissima!

This weekend is also ORMF.  Which has a nice write-up in the SNR.  I had hoped that my No Bunny interview would fill this space, but alas, it was not to be.  I'll get him next time . And I guess next time will be soon because this column is reporting that he has moved to Sac?  Is that a fact?  P.S. I am so tired of reading about the In The Flow Festival.  That guy is a PR genius.

Also, I sort of got a letter in the letters section.  It's more about how Renny Pritikin said "fuck" but still, a thrill.

Also, Cosmo busts chops on the "Save The Tower" marquee.  I'm really glad the city didn't do the Cine Arts thing, but now that I'm farther from the debate it reminds me a little more of Paragary trying to throw his weight around to stop food trucks.  Like interfering with the free market.  But it was a stupid idea to begin with.  This town can barely support two art house theaters.

One more thing:  Jonathan Kiefer reviewed Morgan Spurlock's new movie and the headline is "No Shit, Spurlock".  I would like to commend whoever came up with that.  I don't know if you guys realize how hard it  is to come up with headlines, but I am terrible at it. It is hard.

8 comments:

DJ Rick said...

Justin a.k.a. NoBunny told me a few months ago that he was looking to move to Sacto, but to keep it a secret. I think he told someone else who forgot it was a secret. It turns out, he's just looking to move from Oakland, and Sacto's on his shortlist of cities to move to. I think we're in the final cut with Milwaukee.

beckler said...

Well, I only told like 100 people so I don't know how the secret got out. J.K. That's what we need a rally for, not to keep the stupid Kings. Does Justin want us to build him a stadium? Done.

Anonymous said...

Best one I ever read: "Seger wins against the wind" when his boat 'Lightning' won the yacht race from Port Huron to Macinac. Sometimes headlines just write themselves.

ec

Caroline said...

I don't know how you started off your post with a Halen reference, but then dropped the ball on Hottenroth.

Anonymous said...

I need to try woodruff, I am kind of obsessed by the idea of may wine. i didn't know that it was sweet.

congrats on the letter. I am actually reading that issue right now, I am always several weeks behind.

And finally, http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/530791--there-s-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel

gbomb

Anonymous said...

Oh oh, Big Becky, ram a lam!

ec

beckler said...

Does No Bunny realize that Milwaukee is a third tier city? Or perhaps even LOWER than third tier.

DJ Rick said...

As far as music shows go, though, Milwaukee runs circles around Sacto. The truth....If your band needs a show to happen in Milwaukee, I can book that show within a couple of phone calls just by telling one of two friends there that I recommend the band. It's one of the few cities where that is true right now. On the other hand, here in the post-Hub Sacramento, I can't guarantee anyone will care enough to let you play their venue.

They have a liquor store where they have shows in the vacant apartment above it, and that liquor store makes a killer burger and even a pretty decent-looking stoner-pizza. There are several cool bars with live music any night of the week. And there are tons of basement shows.

There are also dozens of bands in Milwaukee varying from pretty good to really, really good who have records in print at this very moment. It's a smaller city than Sacramento, but I'd estimate the number of bands to be at least 500% higher.