Thursday, April 20, 2006

Davis, I hardly knew ye

I wanted to ride bikes because of the spectacular weather yesterday so I overcame my fear and loathing of Davis and smiller and I took our bikes on the train and went to Davis yesterday for a taste of their storied bike trails. We were not disappointed. We rode all over on the trails around (I think it's called) Covell park. We saw tons of birds and squirrels and dogs, etc., and there were dog statues (such as a dog riding a bike) and some giant dominoes. There were tons of ponds and other cool things to look at. We rode to Sudwerk and had some really tasty brau (I got a 1 liter radler, which is 80%lager and 20% lemonade). The waitress gave us the stinkeye when we only ordered beer and sides of their warm German potato salad, but anyone who has eaten there knows that that's just about the only thing worth ordering, so save the stinkeye for your bathroom mirror, lady. Then, lunch at Plutos, some thrift scoring, and some more biking in the arboretum area, where the trails are not as long but are even more fun to ride on. I have a newfound appreciation for Davis. I wish Davis and Sac could somehow be merged into one smaller city.

The oysters from Taylors were delicious and highly affordable. After that we had dinner at Aioli and it knocked my socks off. For seven bucks, their salad with tuna, beets, potatoes, and hard boiled egg is a great deal. It's big and totally delicious. I had that and a bowl of white bean, chard, chorizo soup, along with the complimentary bread and garlicky white bean dip and was overly full. Aioli doesn't seem to have the buzz it once did but I always enjoy my visits there.

Later that night I adjourned to the Mercantile for a meeting with the legendary Stephen Glass, who may be bringing his campaign of lies and slander to the Sacramento area sometime in the future. The Mercantile is a pretty good bar as bars go. The jukebox rules! Nonstop Janet Jackson, Xtina, and George Michael.

10 comments:

Stephen Glass said...

Sorry for being much more boring in person; this has been a recurrent problem in life. But it was quite good to be in the presence of such a luminary as yourself.

Alice said...

yeah the first time i ate at aioli i was totally confused as to why so few people talk about that place. the food was great, it wasn't that expensive and the atmosphere was amazing (that patio gets me every time). the only beef i have is the small wine by the glass selection. they are good wines, but it's a small list. i guess i should just order a bottle but i'm a lightweight and i don't want to embarrass myself in their nice restaurant.

beckler said...

it might be small, but it's miles better than a lot around town. i randomly picked a spanish white that was great (i dont' even know what it was) and grace had a glass of grenache that was good, too. and they were both around six bucks.

Anonymous said...

The Greenbelt is the park in Davis. Back in my college days at UCD everyone used to say it was the only thing reasonable in the city. Which is true.
I usually bring the rest of my bottle of wine home for restaurants. Is that tacky? I'm poor.

Anonymous said...

do you still have the best country eyes in sac...or did smiller spot any critters before you?

beckler said...

no, i spotted all the critters and pointed them out. so many bunnies! and a grebe (maybe). but i did mistake a sprinkler for a bird, so my country eyes led me astray. but only once.

Anonymous said...

sweet country eyes.
the disciples are having another bbq tonight sometime after the kitten's softball game. Jesus blessed us with a bunch of left over sausages, and brother mike is gonna make some roasted bell pepper, garlic, fennel, and chive garnish for them. plus we have a ton of corn and other goodies too.

se llamas

but you probably won't get this message because its after 4:20 and all.

Anonymous said...

I love the Radler. I miss working in Davis and going to Sudwerks on Fridays with all my colleagues and drinking a big Radler out on the patio even though I had to drive home across the causeway. I could justify it so easy, cause it was only lemonade.

Miss B

Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the Merc's the best bar in midtown...... I mean that seriously, even when I'm not drinking all of my beverages through a tiny plastic penis.

-Liv

beckler said...

20% lemonade, miss b. so i guess you were only 80% drunk!

that little penis dribbled whiskey on my leg! if only that was what real penises dribbled.