Tuesday, April 25, 2006

stuff to read

OK, I'm out but please if you like to read about things AND stuff then get the april 24th new yorker or borrow if from me. It has lots of good stuff, including this GREAT article on Werner Herzog with all kinds of amazing quotes that I frustratingly cannot link because they just took down that issue on their website. Also there is a Donner party article that mentions the sutter fort connection. Also, read the article on Phillip Roth in today's New York Times. He is the best and most depressing as he reminds us that it's not just our families that will die as we age, our friends will die, too. Cheery but glad to hear that his health is improved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My folks just got back from visiting some distant cousin of my dad's who lives in Switzerland, not too far from Berne (where Sutter lived right before he came to the states). My dad has a funny pic of him standing in the town square next to a plaque that says, "Johann Sutter: Der Kaiser von Kalifornien." I guess you could call him that.

Stephen Glass said...

Or, hey -- be like Beckler and myself and subscribe to The New Yorker (I hear they're hurtin' for cash because apparently those shiny double-truck Louis Vuitton ads are actually gimmies). I just got my annual bill for $47, but it pays for itself what with articles the caliber of the Herzog piece, Sy Hersh letting us know how soon the world might end and how and those life-affirming Bruce Eric Kaplan cartoons.

Anonymous said...

Last week's New Yorker article on Pete Seeger and Sy Hersh's article on the ramped up efforts by Bush & Co. are also excellent.

--beercan dick
(10+ years NYer subscriber -- yeeHa! Pass the caviar...)