Tuesday, April 25, 2006

vientianne!!

It's funny, but writing this blog I feel this pressure to eat at new restaurants rather than old favorites. But most of the new places that are opening are pricy and I can't afford to eat at restaurants like that very often. I'm really starting to notice that my higher rent is cutting into my disposable income (Duh, of course it is, I didn't get a raise, but somehow I thought the money would just stretch. At least Prez Bush has got my back with the gas prices. I'm sure they'll be dropping any day now). In short, no new reviews in a while. Sorry. But I hit up an old favorite again last night. Vientianne. So fucking good. And it was 12 bucks each with drinks and leftovers (why did we leave those leftovers, guys? was I drunk? I know it wasn't much but I could be eating it right now). We got the stuffed chicken wings (a must, indescribably good), green curry (so spicy!) and squid salad. This is the best incarnation of the standard Thai squid salad that I've had. The squid was warm and tender. It lovingly caressed my throat on the way down. OK, that's going too far, but it did have an amazingly flavorful dressing. And guess what? The dining room was almost completely empty, as usual. Remember folks, this family is hitting the road back to Laos in summer 2007, so you better get your ass over there.

Mike Dunne wrote a good review of Celestins. It almost makes me want to give that place another try, after that chicken skin gumbo incident. Despite the fact that he says the food has gone downhill, he made some of it sound intriguing. But at 17 bucks for an entree there are other places I would rather eat. The other Bee food writer also wrote a review of another chain restaurant, although he seems apologetic about it in the opening paragraph. How about just don't do it?***I misunderstood what the dude was saying about chains. Oops. It's not a chain.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the restaurant wasn't a chain--wasn't the point of that lead that all the other restaurants around the place he reviewed were chains, but this one wasn't? But it's confusingly written.

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to like Celestins. I ate there twice, once having the vegetarian gumbo and then some corn cake thing. The gumbo had a very gritty texture and the broth lacked a depth of flavor. The corn cakes were like giant triangles of unseasoned polenta swimming in a sea of watery black beans. Maybe it's just not that great for vegetarians.

Niki

Anonymous said...

Mike Dunne's being pretty nice in that review. Maybe at one point Celestin's could get away with those prices but now that there are more restaurants that actually make you go "oh, this was actually worth what I paid", Celestin's inconsistency is glaring. I don't know - that review sure mentioned a lot of "details" that were missing. I mean, what isn't details? Hey, they brought the food to the table and the check when we were done!

If that place didn't already have a name to fall back on, it would probably be closed by now.

miller

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

I haven't been to Celestin's in over a year, but it was a favorite from back when it was where Kru is now or thereabouts.

Dunne's review was lacklustre but wouldn't keep me away. Especially since he chose to lead with his disappointment at not being able to see himself in the mirror.

Alice said...

celestine's used to be pretty damn good when i worked there in '99. i've only been back once since i quit and the food had gone waaaay downhill. i always thought their prices were incredibly expensive. i figured they could get away with it for a while being the only authentic carribean/cajun joint in the area. but, that doesn't seem like an adequate excuse for those prices anymore.

BTW, i'm hitting 55 degrees tonight Becky. Did you already review this place? If not, I can send you my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I don't like this pressure to eat based on the blog business. Perhaps you could review cheap places as your thing. Who don't love some Los?
I am amazed at how you can afford to eat at such upscale joint as frequently as you do.
I am super cheap about eating out, so what do I know.
-natalie

Anonymous said...

I had the black beans once when I was there, the one time I was, actually and I totally agree that they were gritty. Even I know how to wash beans, for fucks' sake. I have heard people whose opinions on such matters sing the praises of the place, but it didn't do a thing for me.

Ed

cakegrrl said...

Celestin's cuisine/atmosphere is a great idea, but they never quite pull it off taste-wise. The plantains I had were quite bland, and I made the mistake of ordering something with ahi tuni that also managed to disappoint. They need to recruit a chef from NOLA to show em how it's done/update recipes...

Anonymous said...

"I have heard people whose opinions on such matters"

I intended to type, "...whose opinions on such matters I value," or somesuch choice of words.

Ed

Anonymous said...

Those stuffed chicken wings are amazing! I don't even like chicken wings but there is something magical about those...magically delicious.

-Connie

Anonymous said...

As for Cheap things--Try Pho Bolsa on Stockton/Jensen(i think)past Fruitridge on the left before the big Asian Supa(supermarket in japanese).This was my fave place.Big Meals and Pho Soup around $4-5 bucks,Fresh squeezed orange juice and warm tsingtao that needs ice cubes.The asian little joe`s was what i called it.The vietnamese coffee is also a killer with espresso drip and a condensed milk at about a buck.But this was two-three years ago and i tottaly miss this place.On the cheap in japan they have yak tori stands with nama biru and meat on a stick.10 bucks gets ya two beers and about 5 sticks of grilled various meat dripped in sweet yaktori sauce.These are good places to meet foreign drunks who drink chu hi %7 percent sugar/fruit drink and wander to the river to drink more chu hi which costs about 189 yen..about a buck fifty..take care jay

Anonymous said...

has anyone been to yummy? thats my new spot and it stays open till 2:00am. grilled meat sampler = 1 hotdog,1 pork chop, 1 steak and 1 piece of chicken with french fries on the top and then a fried egg to boot and it makes this sizzling sound as they bring it to your table! plus they give you free hot tea and they have a crazy dessert menu. eggpuffs are like a fortune cookie turned into a waffle, brilliant and you have to try the mango split. their fruit is so sweet.

homzee

Anonymous said...

That sounds like every meal I ate in Portugal!

miller

Anonymous said...

oh felicidade! Scoty

chow, gal