Friday, April 14, 2006

i'm hungry already

Anyone on here been to Kozen? There is discussion of it on chowhound and it sounds right up my alley. Someone on there was complaining how Mikuni used to be better and that now all the rolls inevitably have tempura shrimp and a mayo sauce on top and basically taste the same. They say Kozen is more traditional. I also want to try Gaylords (the Indian restaurant where Virgas used to be) and of course Birriera Bugambilias, where we were going to eat on the ill-fated night when we went to Nishiki instead. Going to Mexico has merely whetted my appetite for Mexican food rather than made me sick of it.

And slop dawg jr. and other east coast eaters should try to get to Cafe Alsace. Both the nytimes food and wine people are raving about the food and the crazy beer selection. I wish I could go! Airfare is getting so crazy! Someone I know just bought a ticket to Europe for over a thousand bucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a great dinner at Kozen a few months ago, and it was even better that my friend paid the bill. Be prepared to spend a grip at Kozen, because the portions tend to be small (and on the pricey side) and you'll be tempted to sample a bunch of stuff. I love Kozen's approach to Japanese food. The flavors are subtle but very sophisticated, and each plating looks like a mini art project. Can't remember exactly what I had, but we started with the edamame (comes with three different seasonings), beef with asparagus, a salad with miso dressing, and some of the freshest hamachi I've ever tasted. (And the best part, we didn't spend the next three days barfing!)

Kozen is definitely the antithesis to the mayo-drenched b.s. that passes for Japanese food around Sac. The ambience is great - love that modern Japanese furniture - but it's too bad that the view includes part of Fair Oaks Blvd. and a McDonalds sign that's not quite obscured. The service was a little too eager-beaver when I was there, but I'm planning to go back - like right after my next pay day.