Monday, September 11, 2006

moistest tamales evs?

We Jam Econo at Fool's totally ruled. I have never liked the Minutemen before but that movie was really inspiring. I have posted the picture of Mike Watt as a monday morning treat for the ladies. The second picture is not so much a treat but is funny because those are bottles of pee. (oh never mind, piece of shit blogger won't upload. I'll try later maybe). This friday is a documentary about the Salton Sea with the director there. Don't miss it! Unfortunately I have to.

I hit up Denios this weekend with pretty good results. I got a menorah necklace charm thingy made of "real" "layered" 24 carat gold. Well, it doesn't turn my neck green so that's good. I also ate those bomb-ass tamales at Auction town. Moistest tamales ever!

I also finally made two of the recipes that I collected for Midtown Monthly, the beet salad from P. Mulvaney and the fish stew from M. Thiemann. They were both the bomb, but the real standout was the stew which was one of the best things I have ever made or tasted and was so simple to make. I will print that recipe here sometime this week and I urge you all to try it out! Seriously it is a mind-blower. Lime, cilantro, beer, Spanish chorizo, sea food, etc., what's not to like?

Lastly on a weekend where I ate everything that came into my sight, we finished up our day of yachting on the Delta (by the way we saw a giant sea lion chilling on a dock, has anyone else ever seen this there? wikipedia says it happens sometimes.) by eating a gargantuan meal at the Freeport bar and grill. If you want a ton of seafood I heartily recommend the critter platter. Watching someone eat it is not a pretty sight as you end up covered in debris from the various crab claws, lobster tails, etc, but it was good. The baby back ribs were really good and tender, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

> by the way we saw a giant sea lion
> chilling on a dock, has anyone else
> ever seen this there?

Sea lions are pretty common in the Delta--I see 'em as far inland as Stockton. A lot of times you'll see big fish with huge chunks bitten out of them half swimming/dieing on the surface and then a sea lion comes up for air. Those cruel furbags!

--cap'n mitch

Anonymous said...

Beckler,

BTW, what kind of Delta tour did you take and does Freeport Bar & Grill get a thumbs up then?

--cap'n mitch

beckler said...

we started out at the freeport marina. then we passed a bunch of placed like clarksburg and then we were on some side sloughs, including steamboat slough which has a tiny private beach that you can pay to sit on, and then we circled around. I don't really know the route cuz I was just chillin' on the prow of the boat. I'd say I give the Freeport Grill kind of a mixed thumbs up. It's the kind of place where it's great as long as your parents or grandparents pay (and it's a real snowbird hub so your granny would probably love it).

Anonymous said...

> I'd say I give the Freeport Grill kind
> of a mixed thumbs up. It's the kind of
> place where it's great as long as your
> parents or grandparents pay (and it's
> a real snowbird hub so your granny
> would probably love it).

Ah, snowbirdy like Spenger's or the Hof Brau. I've always wanted to go to one of the old Delta restaurants on the water just to eat a big seafood platter (aka Captain's Plate, etc) piled high with lots o' greasy fried oysters, calimari, clams, etc. Mmmmm...fried seafood snowbird stylee...

--cap'n mitch

Anonymous said...

I'd say that the Critter Platter at Freeport Grill will fulfill that fantasy quite nicely. And ignore that it's on the appetizer menu. It's frickin' huge!

miller

beckler said...

it's not fried, though. but i agree, it's a good seafood meal