Friday, September 15, 2006

rethinking Davey D



Davey D has always bugged the crap out of me BUT he has been so excited about this bomb reggae concert and this morning he was spinning an AWESOME set of reggae and dancehall and he kept toasting over the tracks and talking about how excited he is and I just can't hate him anymore. Plus it totally cracks me up that the bomb reggae party and the fm 102 tamale contest are the same day and that the bomb keeps dissing on it like "Why pay to eat stale tamales in heat, when you could be partyin’ by a pool at the Bomb’s reggae Summer Splash FOR FREE! "

There's a new Ice Cube/Snoop track that I can't help but like. Snoop's part is weak of course cuz he's completely lost it, but the Ice Cube part is classic. It's called Go To Church but it's not religious. You can hear it here. You probably already have icecube.com bookmarked anyway.

Heckamax beat me to it but I was going to post about the Spiral States/Knock Knock/Pets/Didley Squat (I finally get to see them) show at Marilyn's on saturday at ten to benefit the Maloofs and the Downtown arena (JK it's to buy kids instruments). Christian Kiefer has a show that same night at the Fox and Goose so I wish I could be in two places at once but I caint.

And of course tonight is the big Shiny Objects screening at the Fools at 700. Don't miss this!!! The director will be there. Here's a description:

Once known as the "California Riviera", the Salton Sea is now called one of America’s worst ecological disasters: a fetid, stagnant, salty lake, coughing up dead fish and birds by the thousands. Yet a few hardy eccentrics hang on to hope, including a roadside nudist waving at passing European tourists, a man building a religious mountain out of mud and paint, beer-loving Hungarian Revolutionary Hunky Daddy, and the real-estate "Ronald McDonald" known simply as The Landman. Through their perceptions and misperceptions, the strange history and unexpected beauty of the Salton Sea is revealed. "Accidentally" created by an engineering error in 1905, reworked in the 50’s as a world class vacation destination for the rich and famous, and then suddenly abandoned after a series of hurricanes, floods, and fish die-offs, the Salton Sea has a bittersweet past. Congressman Sonny Bono himself was once dedicated to saving the lake, until he went skiing one day... Now amongst the ruins of this man-made mistake, these few remaining people struggle to keep a remodelled version of the dream alive. However, this most unique community is now threatened by the nearby megalopolises of Los Angeles and San Diego, as they attempt to take the agricultural run-off that barely sustains the sea. The fate of this so-called ecological time bomb and the community that surrounds it remain uncertain, as the Salton Sea might just dry up.

I have to miss it because I'm going to see this band in San Francisco. They are real good, cereal.

6 comments:

beckler said...

somebody did a search for "paris benji hooter video" and the four eyes were the first hit! i was the sixth. I'm the number one hit for meatballs 2, though. I also got hits for "layla outro" (infuriating) and "drunken volleyball" (rad). I am also proud that yesterday I was looking for some topless pictures of Jewel on the internet and I was led to my own blog! That gave me a warm feeling inside.

Anonymous said...

Stop whining. Get educated.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Did you find any topless pictures of Jewel?

-Connie

beckler said...

Yeah, that one in the MTV photobooth where her and Ty Murray are foolin' around. Jewel has a completely slammin' bod to match her monumental talent (just kidding about that talent part)

Josh Nice said...

am i the only one that thinks davy d looks dead-on the donger in that picture?

A.C. The Program Director *LBNF* KING said...

Open letter to Davey D in response to his so-called Year In Hiphop review:

Yo Davey...

Catch up with Hiphop.... You are talking about the music industry's imitation of Hiphop music and culture, it's called Rap music & culture... You are misrepresenting and misinterpreting the word Hiphop to the people who read your stuff, which is contributing the mass media's/the corporate structures rape and robbing of the original genuine art form... Please correct yourself to your readers... Stop playing along with the game, and respect the art, culture and movement of Hiphop by not fucking up it's identity and referring to imitation Hiphop as Hiphop...

I know this will fall on deaf eyes, but I can't hold it in... You're sleeping with the enemy, stabbing the culture, that you claim, in the back... You're playing a game with an art that saves people's lives ... It's a damned shame too... People actually think you are Hiphop.... I am not having it...

I don't care when or where, I will discuss your relativity to Hiphop with you face to face, man to man, in ANY PUBLIC platform... Please set up something, because I can't stand back and watch you plagiarize yourself as a part of Hiphop culture ANYMORE with bullshit like this being put out... Yeah I mean it, you are being a perpetrator, an industry whore, a plagiarist and an enemy to Hiphop when you misrepresent and misinterpret it to the people all over the world... Change your story to The Year In Rap and we have no problem... As long as you play the game with the word Hiphop, I am going to call you out for crimes against the culture...

I will call you out constantly if you don't set something up, and I hope that the Conspiracy Radio folks hurry and get me the tape of that interview with you and I, cuz I am going to put that out too... Bring it on Davey. You ain't Hiphop...


AC The PD
HiphopPhilosophy.com Radio
myspace.com/theprogramdirector