Thursday, September 07, 2006

vashti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Vashti Bunyan is tonight at the Great American and I'm very excited. I'm already wearing my Jesus headband and have grown a freak folk beard. Well, actually I just glued some cat hair to my face in an attempt to blend in at the show. Let's hope it works.

Fool's Foundation is showing a movie on friday that I'm going to see. It's a documentary on the Minutemen. It starts at seven and it's five bucks. I ran into J. Greenberg and he said Kabinet would be back this month. Is that true, J? The website hasn't been updated if so. I will be yachting on the Delta that day so I can't attend anyway.

The new Midtown monthly is out with Dave Jones on the cover. My things on the Firehouse and Nopalitos are in there. I'm working on the Harbor Winery article for this month. OK, that's a lie, I interviewed the guy and have done nothing more but it's all up here (I am tapping my head right now). If you are interested in trying an aged white wine go to Cortis and pick up a bottle of his 1989 Semillon for only nine bucks! It is a very interesting wine.

2 comments:

lisa_emily said...

The documentary on the minuteman is RAD! I hope you enjoy it- it even made me cry....

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I'm green to the gills with envy that Fools Foundation got to premiere WE JAM ECONO in Sacramento. I heard about the film and was thinking about trying to secure it for a screening at HQ, as I'm a big fan of The Minutemen and by all accounts (at least the ones I've read) it's a terrific doc. I hope the inaugural show of their new screening series was a big success. I'd have been there if I didn't already have plans for the evening...

Hecka...I actually almost ran into you a second time that day -- literally. I'd had to go into work, and was heading home around 5pm. I decided to skip the freeway and take a spin through midtown. I was on J Street, approaching The Beat when some gutsy young gal on a bike decided to chance crossing J as traffic was approaching. I hit my brakes -- and luckily so did you! Another friend on a bike was approaching the intersection, yelled out to you, and fortunately caught your attention. Yikes! I would not want to be known as the guy who clipped Heckasac. I'd be less popular than Paesano's in this town....

Anyway, Kabinet will indeed return...in October. I'd hoped to host some screenings this month, but our new house is still not in order. Also, the editing system at work crashed a couple of weeks back, and we lost several shows that were in progress. I did the math today and realized I've had one day off in the last twenty.

I'm still finalizing the schedule, but as for now it's looking like we'll be screening the first feature by Luis Bunuel's son, Carl Theodor Dreyer's lone foray into the horror genre, and "a cruel picture" that's one of Quentin Tarantino's favorites. Hope that whets some appetites out there...

As always, thanks for the support you provide to Kabinet. I didn't realize how much I needed to recharge my batteries until I finally took a break...but I'm really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Take care,
J.