Tuesday, January 03, 2006

capital tea garden

Whenever I step out onto the porch of my new place I smell a delicious smell. It comes from Capital Tea Garden on T and 11th. I thought that nobody ever eats at this place but the smell was making me curious so I asked around. I got mixed reviews and decided it was best to try it for myself. The first time I went I got crispy duck, winter melon soup, and garlic bok choy. The veggie section on the menu is very sparse so we inquired about additional greens instead of bok choy and were told they had mustard greens (which were not on the menu). We ordered those but still got bok choy. Oh well. It was OK, very garlicky but also quite tough and not fun to eat. The winter melon soup was flavorless and gelatinous with small bits of duck floating on top. However, the crispy duck was the bomb. I enjoyed the flavor more than any duck I've ever eaten, probably because it wasn't very gamey. The cuts we got were not very meaty. I would have liked more duck, but it wasn't very expensive so I didn't feel ripped off. It came with a sweet dipping sauce that was a perfect accompaniment. Did I spell that right? I hate that word. The market around the corner, Cheung Hing, serves food in the back and shares the kitchen with Capital Tea Garden. Ella picked up some dim sum there on new years day to go along with the brunch feast I was making. She got pork shu mai and shrimp har gow. They were so fucking good! She also got a bunch of steamed pork buns. She said it helps to order all the stuff in Chinese so they know what you're talking about. Like if you just say shrimp dumpling they might not be able to help you, depending on who's working. The buns are something like Char Shu Bao. She also recommended the soy sauce chicken and the BBQ pork and seconded my rec of the crispy duck.

As I said this goes along with my new year's resolution to eat more Chinese food. I love living in Sac and one of the only things that occasionally gets me down is having to eat at the same few restaurants over and over if I don't want to drive into the burbs. I have not had a lot of luck with Chinese restaurants because I usually just try the same few things that I know and I already know what they taste like and that I will like them but not love them. A lot of Chinese restaurants have a different menu for more adventurous eaters (sometimes written only in Chinese) and I want to broaden my horizons. So far it's going great. I'll keep reporting back.

9 comments:

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

That's one of the things I love about Sacramento. There are Chinese restaurants that have non-translated portions of their menus.

Stephen Glass said...

Don't forget to order the chicken feet.

Anonymous said...

Check out New Station on broadway @ 18th.

They have a great menu and most of the patrons are Chinee. And they speak Cantonese, not godamm Mandarin. Plus, if you catch your own fish (largemouth bass or striped bass would be the species of choice) they'll cook it for you for 6 bucks. Ask them to steam it (with scallions, ginger, soy sauce and hot oil). It's just like mom's cooking. If you give them an extra fish or two for themselves, they'll do yours for free or give you bonus entrees. The key word is "give" (with a wink) because it's against state law to barter/sell/trade any sport caught game fish.

President,
Sacramento Appreciation Society of San Francisco

Anonymous said...

I second that emotion about New Station. I have loved it since it was called the Golden Wok. That place is good. Of course as a teenager all I got there was chow mein. Now I try to branch out and order some things that are classic Chinese dishes. Like that soy sauce/hot oil sauce described above! Soy sauce chicken, anything with dried scallops (it will probably say scallops on the menu and you'll have to ask), pea tendrils or long beans!

Ella

Anonymous said...

Hecka-
I forgot to tell you that when I was in Cheung Hing that someone came to pick up their special order of roast Goose! Yum yum yum!

EC

Anonymous said...

Hands down, Kings on Saturday or Sundays for dim sum. Kindest service to boot!

Anonymous said...

Capitol Tea Garden isn't the best Chinese food I've ever had, but my family has kind of adopted the place as our 'comfort' restaurant; a place to go where you know you're always going to get a table without waiting (I don't think I've EVER seen the place crowded...). Also a good place for large groups. When family visits from Oregon they insist we go there -- and since they also insist we pay, that's okay with us. You can feed a large group there with the dinner specials pretty cheap.

I do think they have the best Hot & Sour Soup around town.

Anonymous said...

wow!
you guys know this town? It's the soft shell's w/ x-o sauce!

Anonymous said...

I've eaten there often and have discovered that the time of day plays in important role in the quality of the food. DON'T GO FOR LUNCH as it is always substandard at that time. Weekend dim sum is excellent. Try their Beef Stew Won Ton Soup because it is excellent. They also make the best pot stickers in town!