Friday, January 06, 2006

I got crabs at SF supermarket

The comments are still trickling in on the FF imbroglio, including one busting my chops for the nth time for that old True Love thing. In the lack of any public statement from Nilesh and without having heard anything I can only assume that he still stands behind his statement and that he is continuing to call for a boycott of Fools.

And speaking of ancient gossip, now you can hear about it straight from the source.

It's awkward to segue from that, but the show must go on here at Heckasac. Get ready for some juicy gossip about some juicy crabs I ate last night. The market on Broadway was sold out of crabs so we decided to go to SF supermarket on Stockton and Florin. If you haven't been to this place then you haven't sampled the fantastic cultural diversity of this area of Sac. They have everything from cute, dirt-cheap little plants to a full meat and fish counter, a BBQ takeout area, gold jewelry, top shelf liquor with prices that rival the locked case at Cortis, everykind of crazy canned fish, vegetable and packaged sauce you could ever want, dishes and pots and pans, and a cheap produce area with stuff you can't get anywhere else. The live crabs were slightly more expensive here than at the place on Broadway. The were about ten bucks each but totally worth it. When you go to check this market out you should eat at Hong Leong sandwiches in the same complex first for delicious Vietnamese sandwiches, shop at the market, and then head to the secret Salvation Army tucked away there (unless it's sunday, I hate how they're closed on sunday!) As we drove towards the supermarket down Stockton I got so excited about my New Year's resolution to eat more Chinese food because there are about a trillion places I need to try. I noticed two noodle houses that I have to go to, one of which is a Lollibowl attached to the Lollicup franchise of tapioca drinks. I'll just throw Vietnamese into the resolution, too.

Once we got home, Grace dumped the poor critters into cold water and turned up the heat. When it started boiling we timed them for ten minutes and then took them out and had a feast. She made a great dipping sauce that perhaps she could post the recipe for? It's her dad's recipe.

In bad news for Tower workers, Brokeback Mountain opens there today and I can't wait to see it. D.P. noted that the sold-out screening from the other night was not so bad despite the giant crowds because the patrons were so happy to be seeing this movie. That's touching. No, I'm serious, it is.

This just in: Crab dipping sauce recipe

1 part soy sauce to 1 part regular vinegar
minced ginger
pinch sugar
dash sesame oil

I know, it's ridiculously simple but delicious. Grace's dad owned a restaurant in College Greens when she was a kid.

13 comments:

Alice said...

beware, brokeback mountain will break your heart. it's a sad, sad film but very well done. if possible, have something uplifting planned for right after you see it! i'm still sad and i saw it two days ago!

Anonymous said...

I love SF Market!!!!!! My mom and I once helped this guy in line in front of us hoist a giant crab out of his cart and onto the checkout conveyor. It was really funny. It got loose in his cart and he was afraid of it because it kept pinching him and it was huge..... and blue. He starting calling people to tell him how to get it out of the cart and then my mom and I walked up and she grabbed it by the ass and flung it up on the counter. It was really funny and the guy was very greatful.

SF's the best!

Anonymous said...

I had totally forgotten about Phyllis and had managed to ignore the existence of Keith Jenson until now. Wow. Thanks, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Keith doesn't bother me and Phyllis has always been a rockstar. He shouldn't called the cops and he knows it. And whoever posted on his board about "the management" should've taken care of it, has never been to the loft.

Anonymous said...

Huh?

Crabs are fun, PS

Try Pho noodles on stockton right before fruitridge on the right comming from the DT as well.

Get a small the large is enough for 4 people.

Anonymous said...

Yes, SF Market is the best! It took us nearly 20 minutes to find parking there one Sunday, but it was worth the hassle.

One of my favorite things to bring to a party is a dozen random canned or bottle drinks from there. There's nothing like making your friends drink salty, carbonated beverages to liven things up.

Anonymous said...

Anyone buying fish at Safeway or Raley's or even Winco or any other chain supermarket will feel extreme overspender's guilt when they see the fish prices at SF Market.

Yeah, that place is awesome!

I keep going in there to see an actual geoduck, but they're never in stock. But I don't hold that against them really.

-Rick E

Unknown said...

as well as the yummy 1.50$ sandwiches, the comples hosts the most amazing indian spice market with veggie samosas and cheap bottled mango juice.

beckler said...

I can describe a geoduck to you: it looks like a gray horse's cock coming out of a shell. My mouth is watering already. I think they have them in the tank at New Station. By the way, I just recently found out that you pronounce it "gooeyduck"

KLJ said...

I just got to thinking about this old crap after Mike died and I once again was faced with lots of faces that I'd usually rather not face so I thought I'd write it up.

Yeah, I was dumb. I think I've grown up a bit. I try not to be dumb. Thanks for linking it.

Anonymous said...

I had a stuffed goeduck as a toy as a child. I really felt as one with the goeduck. They were fairly plentiful in the NW when I was young. Plus, it's really fun to say goeduck. Goeduck, goeduck, goeduck.

Miss B

Anonymous said...

Gillie I am glad your is the comment before mine so we can both spread the northwest gooeyduck pride. We ate the BBQed a lot.

Every year we would go clamming in the delightfully crappy town of Birch Bay and get a bucket full, they are real hard to catch that dick of theors really pulls them through the sand fast.

-natalie

vargaso said...

Phyllis is hot.