Friday, January 13, 2006

lyme regis tonight!

I have scientifically determined that I have to miss two days of work in a row to come back to a crapload of stuff I have to do. I haven't even had time to read the comments on the last post!

Lyme Regis tonight at Gilman. I think lots of people from Sac are going. Everyone should carpool and go. It's gonna be great. And just think you can sit at the Pyramid brewery and drink good brew and you won't even have to hang out with the Gilman riffraff or use the gnarly bathrooms.

I'm reading the Grapes of Wrath. If you haven't heard of this hot new book it's really good and you should get yourself a copy. The author was recently on Oprah defending himself against charges that he exagerrated (boy is that spelled wrong) and that the depression really wasn't that bad.

Brace yourself for the news that Vientianne is closing in summer 2007. If you haven't been there you better start going now because you're going to kick yourself if you go right before they close and you don't have the opportunity to eat the most delicious food ever a million times. According to Ella, the kids don't want to take over the business and the parents are moving back to Laos. I have discovered new delicious dishes there that are so good that they blew my mind. I already knew about the magnificence of the pork and jelly noodle-stuffed chicken legs but now I have eaten the Ultimate Sausage (look, some James Frey-style capitalizing). It's a dish called the Asian Sausage. It looks like they make it there because it's rough and homemade looking. It's a pork sausage that has the most intense lemongrass flavor ever. It's one of the best things I've ever eaten. I also tried the garlic quail which is delicious and so fun to eat because they bring you a pile of tiny barbecued limbs that look like rat parts or something. It's so cute! The quail meat is dark and flavorful without being overly gamey tasting. We all split the coconut ice cream at the end which is so fucking tasty. We got two appetizers, four main dishes, three drinks, and two desserts all for fifteen bucks apiece. That place is incredible.

I also went to Andy Nguyen for the first time in a long time and while I was disappointed to see they still haven't got their service together, the food is great and so healthy. They have gotten some new types of fake meat, including fake shrimp that is pink and white and looks real. Once again, my favorite dish is the crepe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I too am back at work after two sick days, and I still feel like crap. Ah well. Hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

hello heckasac,
i am glad you are back, i need distraction from my dismal desk.
please remind me to eat @ Vientianne the next time I am home.
if you ever happen to look at the book about gilman st. my nick is in it a bunch being riff raff from back in the day.
xo
alicia

Anonymous said...

"asian sausage" is truly unique in my three plus decades of culinary adventures. totally insane food. vientienne rules. if there's one silver lining to the rediculous debacle of the vietnam war, it's that so many vietnamese, laotian, and hmong people ended up in sacramento. (more than anywhere else in the US, i heard once.) thanks to jason d for taking us out there when he reviewed the restaurant, and thanks to SN&R for footing the bill!

Anonymous said...

if anybody's got room in their regis carpool, i might be interested. that's drkeat (at) yahoo (dot) com.

okay, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, B. For those of you thinking of going, please note that the shows there start at 8 and they DO start on time. Also, Lyme Regis is playing first, os if you get there at 8:30 you might miss the first 10 minutes (read: 7 songs).

I really hope to see you guys there because this is kind of a weird bill and the kids are probably gonna hate us because we're old and used.

Thanks! Patrone

Stephen Glass said...

Strictly speaking, Ultimate Sausage would probably be called James Frey-style capitalization. James Frey-style capitalizing would be a case of fleecing some fools of their heard-earned dough with a book that began as a manuscript that got rejected almost 20 times until someone had a publishing house got the bright idea to rebrand (yuck) the thing as a "memoir."