Thursday, January 05, 2006

lame post, but i'm bored!!!

This is the longest day ever. I refuse to believe that it's only three thirty. I say fuck that!

The megacools tour kick-off show is tonight at the Distillery. Like I said, I'm planning on going to the four eyes/megacools show at Old I next week. There's nothing else this week. Daisy Spot has a bunch of shows coming up, including one in early March with Baby Grand at the Fox and Goose. That one sounds rad. There's a Lyme Regis show coming up at Gilman on the 13th, that should be fun. Here's a link to smartguy records, who put out their single. It has an MP3 of their great song "it starts with the band". Here's a review from dusted:

New Sacramento power-trio action consisting of Jason Patrone and Ed Carroll (ex-FM Knives, one of the finest pop-punk bands of the last 10 years) and Tristan Tozer of Pretty Girls. Though they play one unreleased Knives song, this is a slightly different flavor of animal, leaning towards less frantic, more composed Brit-punk sounds a la Chisel, Supergrass or the Jam, but with all the noise and chaos you’d expect intact. Determined instead of frantic, and somewhat more polished than expected, this is a winner, esp. the anthemic “(I’m Not Livin’ in the) USA (No More).” Proof that northern California is still the hotbed for great genre music, maybe more so than any other city in America. Edition of 500 (100 clear vinyl copies for mailorder only – check with the label for availability).

In eating news, I do whatever the new york times tells me and will be journeying to Oto's Japanese market down on Freeport after work with Grace to try to find the much-hyped liquor Shochu. I haven't really heard of it, but according to the article it has been more popular in Japan than sake since 2003. It can be distilled from such a variety of things (such as rice, barley, sweet potatoes and more) that I don't understand what the common factor is that makes them all shochu. I will probably buy an assortment of tasty snacks and some sake. They have a great seafood selection. I'm also getting live crabs from the Asian market across from Target (can't remember the name right now) and will gently and reverently boil them to death for my culinary enjoyment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay SeaPig/Mormon is HOOKED on Shochu. I believe I have tasted it. Sorta like Sake if I recall. The way he goes on about it, it's like he swills it down like water. To me, it was like a one-drink kinda drink.
Ed

beckler said...

You should read the article if you're interested. It is kinda the same as soju, but soju is only distilled from rice.

Anonymous said...

I love Oto's! I stumbled across it a while ago and have since made regular visits.

Is shochu the same as soju? Granted, I don't really know what that is but I drank it once in a korean bar. I think the bottle that we had was a lychee infused one.

Miss B

Anonymous said...

(i think soju is the korean version of shochu.) when i lived in japan i worked in a bar, and all the old timers would drink shochu every night. young people wouldn't touch it. they'd drink it with hot water in the winter, and with cold water in the summer. it's really inexpensive, though there are some fancy ones that cost more. comes in big giant bottles with tons of writing on the label. tastes like watery sake to me, or slightly woody vodka, again watery.

beckler said...

hmm..sounds gross but i'll try it in the name of science. hey miss b, do you like my neat trick of posting a comment in response to yours before yours even appears? i read your mind!

lisa_emily said...

Hi!

Beware of the bad shochu! If you get the barley distilled one, it will taste like alcohol barley-
Do not drink soju (the Korean kind) straight up, unless you want a mouth full of ass-tasting alcohol.

They lie when they compare this stuff to vodka, vodka is way cleaner. I recommend soju and shochu as a mixer base- nice with lychee (or other fun fruits)or a bloody mary.
Funny the NY times is behind the times- this stuff was the rage in SF the past year....Have fun experimenting!!

Anonymous said...

I drink soju often. Its hard to find good soju. The two things you are talking about are the same thing and can be made from potatoes, rice, barley, and other stuff as well. It is old, real old. Since Japan and china always ended up in Korea halfway to fight. Koreans dont like them in a historical since so both korea and Japan claim this as their own stuff.

soju can be distilled up to six times which would make it about 3 time more distilled then belvadere vodka, PS try tito's vodka at trader joes! 5 times distillite!

Get jinro soju! it's good... The only japanese soju I ever got was from japan and it was the cheap stuff. Brown derby was the tranlation... LOL

Only old men drink it their.

Rohan lounge in west geary SF has ass loads of soju and some kick ass korean tapa style food as well.

Not sure if I can embed links here so I did them in C'n'P style

http://www.jinro.co.kr/english/product/01.asp

http://www.rohanlounge.com/




Post Script:
Please disregard my grammer and spelling , as I obviously have

Unknown said...

they're also now selling Soju at the Lair.

you know, for later. when you're hooked.