Tuesday, January 31, 2006

nominations are out!

The Academy Award nominations are out. I'm sure the Barnseyard will have a lot to say about that. I'm happy that Terence Howard got nominated (although that past anonymous commenter who compared Hustle and Flow to a VH1 movie will probably not be happy). It's weird that Jake G. got supporting and extra dumb considering that William Hurt's scenery-chewing-few-minutes-with-bad-Philly-accent from History of Violence is in the same category. At least William Hurt didn't get nominated for Syriana, which he was also terrible in. Unless the category was "most pointless cameo" and then he would be a lock. He should go back to pretending to be a monkey. Now that was a movie! Glad to see that History of Violence got a couple noms, too. I think it's weird that every year I have usually not heard of the foreign pictures that are nominated considering that I go see a lot of foreign movies.

I am watching a Kings game tonight for pretty much the first time this season. I am hoping to get back into it this year. We'll see. For those of you without cable, what's your favorite place to watch? Every place I can think of has some problem that makes it less than ideal.

Oh yeah, and just a tip, if you ever use your ATM at any Arco stations in the area, I would check your bank balance if I were you. Some people pulled a big scam and recorded PIN numbers to steal out of people's bank accounts.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck the William Hurt nomination!!! When I was watching that movie I could not believe my eyes! Or my ears! He's never been an actor I've admired in any way shape or form, but this has to be his worst role ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-michele

Anonymous said...

Glad to see none of the Toms got nominated. (Or is nutting out on Oprah and butting into Brook Shields' personal life now a category?)

About the atms: use CASH, man.

Anonymous said...

Did I compare Hustle & Flow to a VH1 movie? Or did someone else? I thought it was a like an after school special or a Disney movie done under there old company that did more "adult oriented" films. What was the name of that company? Orion? They did Tron.

Hookers with hearts of gold who will suck people off for a microphone, but they'll say "never again" to their pimp. I'm sure most hookers would be glad for a $250 mic for a blow job. For a $250 mic, I'm sure Woody would put out.

Maybe you just need to watch a lot of tv to lower your expectations to enjoy that movie. It must be my fault. I'll start watching Gilmore Girls and 24. Hey, I'm going to fist fight the president's cabinet guy and best friend! Man, this show is great! They really don't dumb it down for the masses.

Anonymous said...

Maybe some people just liked it & other people didn't. Or maybe you're just way smarter than everyone else. It's a tough call.

miller

Anonymous said...

Hurt is amazing in the Accidental Tourist - psyche! I always feel embarrased when I see him in a movie. I hate that. Brew

beckler said...

who's the anonymous hustle and flow hater? reveal yourself!

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I really like William Hurt, but I haven't seen that movie where he has the bad accent yet. Nothing is more embarrassing than a terrible accent and overacting.

-Connie

Anonymous said...

Connie! If you like Hurt, you'll hate his role even more than we do. It's truly embarrassing!!! It's one of those things where you know it must have been a joke among the cast, and they all had to try not laugh when he was shooting. the worst part is that he's suppposed to me menacing, but he's just as nebbishy as ever, just with an awkward beard and, again, a horrible fake accent.

-michele

lisa ninja said...

Is it just me or is Anonymous a little snarky, I mean sharky?
ba-dum-bum

Anonymous said...

Excellent use of sharky Lisa! So much better.

-Connie

Anonymous said...

> I think it's weird that every year I
> have usually not heard of the foreign
> pictures that are nominated
> considering that I go see a lot of
> foreign movies.

You oughts to sign up on Landmark Theatres' email list. 'swonderful....

President,
Sacramento Appreciation Society of San Francisco

Anonymous said...

Shit Prez of SASofSF, I work for Landmark Theatres and I have only heard of one of the nominees (Paradise Now) for Best Foreign Picture! i guessed that Paradise Now would win the Golden Globe on the criteria that it was the only film I had even heard of!

johnny

Anonymous said...

Landmark's SF/East Bay specific .mailing list is pretty good at listing the short run + foreign titles and always has free admission giveaways and stuff. The Lumiere and Opera House also have great mailers...

President,
Sacramento Appreciation Society of San Francisco