Monday, January 30, 2006

that's wild

Does anyone else think it's crazy that Animal Collective is playing Sac on a saturday and at the Fillmore on a sunday?! (I wish I had an interrobang key on my keyboard). We have to represent. I hope a lot of people go. Tickets are finally on sale for the Fillmore show.

Lyme Regis were on fire again on saturday. I love seeing them play. Their songs are so catchy that I have to remind myself that they are not covers of classic songs, well except for rose in spanish harlem which they do a rad version of. I couldn't really see but there was a rumor that Smitty came out of a cardboard birthday cake wearing a diaper during the Losin' Streaks. Let's hope it was a clean diaper.

I ate a Pho Bac in honor of Lunar New Year and it knocked my socks off. There are a few cheap restaurants around town that I started eating at back when I was a vegetarian (I know, can you believe it?) and sometimes I fall into this pattern of ordering the same non-meat things I used to get at them. Pho is one, Willy's is another (I've never had a real burger there, only the triple cheese). At Pho I always got the veggie pho, which I'm sure has a meat broth. Anyways, at the urging of smiller this time I tried rare beef pho. It came out with slices of raw looking beef on top. I was kinda grossed out, but the beef is sliced so thinly that as soon as you dunk them in the broth they cook slightly. The beef wasn't melt in your mouth tender, but it was tender enough and fun to eat. The broth was totally beefy and good. We also got chicken bun something something, which is a cold noodle salad with charbroiled chicken. It was a great meal.

I bought a French cheese last night at Trader Joes that I have had before called St. Nectaire. It is usually a good, stinky cows milk cheese. I put my groceries in the trunk and when I got home and opened it I thought to myself "something is rotten in my trunk" which is entirely possible because my car is a trash heap. When I got inside I realized it was the cheese! Brew and I decided that it smelled like (this is gross-don't read on if you can't handle NC-17 language) if a guy had jizzed into his buttcrack and then went and worked out for a few hours. I tried eating it and I have never eaten poo but now I think I know what it's like. It went straight into the trash. Do my cheese expert readers (and I have a few) have any opinion on this? It didn't make me sick so I guess it was OK to eat.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog by searching "if a guy had jizzed into his buttcrack and then went and worked out for a few hours". Great stuff - keep it up! I'll check back often!

-jonzi

Anonymous said...

I feel like the stinkiness of a cheese and whether its enjoyable or not is all relative, of course...and I've really enjoyed some truly rank cheeses...and the few times I've had cheese that I thought had "gone bad" it wasn't more stinky than usual, but more salty and runny and ammonia-y. So, I don't know whether to say that cheese had gone bad or not...although if you straight up thought you were eating poo....it's definitley safe to say that the Saint Nectare had taken on some unenjoyable characteristics.

michele

Anonymous said...

What was the texture like? If it was runny, then it's definitely overripe. Was the outside slimy? Did it seem dried out? How was it packed? Like a wegde wrapped in plastic? When you tasted it, did you eat the rind? I don't really consider St. Nectaire a rind-eating cheese.

Ben

Anonymous said...

Thats so funny because the other day after completing a work-out I call "tour de fucking force" (full body super-sets bookended by particuarly brutal spin classes), I realized during a simulated victory sprint into Paris that I may have forgotten to wipe the jizz from my ass.

My towel smelled like St Nectaire.

leon said...

Last time I bought some hummus from Trader Joes, in small print on the back of the container was a disclaimer informing me that the same equipement used to make the hummus was also used to make products containing peanuts and shell-fish...

Just sayin'...There could be some cross contamination going on. Maybe the "cheese packer" just got back from "working out" at the "gym"...if you know what I mean...*wink* *wink*

beckler said...

It was wrapped in plastic. Come to think of it, it definitely had some ammonia going on, however, it was not runny or slimy.

Jeff M. said...

where is AC playing in sac this saturday? It is this sat, right?

beckler said...

nah, it's not till march. it's at the library (interrobang)

Unknown said...

oh man. G-bomb's catch phrase is finally catching on! genius.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that AC Saturday-in-Sac routing is so weird I'm hoping it isn't a fuck-up on the band management's part and that a correction is coming ("Sacramento ticket holders: Saturday tickets will be honored for a Sunday Library show."). To your representin' concern, I've already nabbed at least one would-be Fillmore show attendee -- an Oaktown denizen -- and maybe another SF one to head to the Sac show even after we considered both venues. They were both down with 916. Maybe I should've left those tickets for our own Sac peeps, but no matter it'll make us look good in the end. Becky, I think you mentioned that AC has always liked playing here so that seems to be showing. I'm just bummed that I'll be missing a Saturday at Harlow's with Tainted Love.

Dave

Anonymous said...

I didn't know what the fuck an interrobang was, but now i know i can ‽ ‽ ‽ all night long! My power book rules!

Michele and Ben, I can't wait to eat stinky cheese with you guys! I called Tahir the other day because I couldn't remember where that Kati Roll place was. I took Alicia & Nick there before seeing Transamerica. Man that place rocks! Though the guy working there seemed to think we were INSANE for some reason. Which was weird because Alicia hadn't made it to the candy store yet.

johnny

Anonymous said...

Johnny!!!! I can't wait to kick it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We might not get down there before my exam which is June 13th, but we totally have to celebrate afterwards...this is my hardest semester yet!

Kati Roll rules.................!!!! Everyday I wish I had one for lunch.

love yoU!!!