Wednesday, August 09, 2006

aughhh!


I highly recommend that you start reading Mary Worth because there's a really good plotline going on. This guy Aldo with the funny red bowl cut is stalking Mary and she's getting really pissed about it. As always the comics curmedgeon has written some hilarious posts about it.

If you're not familiar with Mary Worth, here's a summary of it on the king features website:

First appearing in 1938, Mary Worth is one of the longest-running continuity strips, or "comic-page soap operas" — a genre dedicated to the millions of readers who thrive on continued stories told in brief daily episodes with cliffhanger endings.
Contrary to popular belief, Mary Worth is not a continuation of the Depression Era favorite "Apple Mary." The strip was created as a replacement feature offered to newspapers when Martha Orr, who created the dowdy apple peddler, retired. The only thing the new title character had in common with her predecessor was a first name. She appeared as she is today: a well-spoken gentlewoman with a knack for quoting proverbs and surrounding herself with interesting people whose lives reflect the daily concerns of society.
Past stories have confronted such issues as juvenile delinquency, unwed motherhood, drug addiction, spouse abuse, alcoholism, infidelity, concerns of the elderly and the generation gap.
The reader is asked to remember that Mary Worth stories are not about Mary. They are about a continuing parade of people who enter Mary's life. If you look closely, you may recognize one of your neighbors — or even yourself

I emailed this to smiller yesterday and I LOLed when he pointed out that they used the phrase "popular belief" to precede a sentence about the Depression-era origin of Mary Worth. Not exactly something you hear heatedly discussed at parties so popular belief is stretching it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally a topic I can speak on.
I love me some judgemental Mary Worth.
She is such a judgemental bitch I love it.

Stephen Glass said...

Damnit, I have told HUNDREDS of people far and wide that "Mary Worth" was a spinoff of "Apple Mary." Guess I have a weekend of emails and phone calls ahead of me to set the record straight; I really owe it to all of them seeing how I foolishly led them astray.

beckler said...

you must feel really stupid. like the time i told people that get fuzzy was just a rip-off of bloom county. oh wait, i was right about that.

how's that for a controversial comment?

werenotdeep said...

I've never heard of apple mary. I think that fact alone speaks volumes about just how far they're stretching the word "popular".

Anonymous said...

A) werenotdeep: you are not worthy of the nickname 'OMO' if you've never heard of Apple Mary. How not 'old timey' can you get?

B) obviously, Hecksac and I go to different parties.

ok, I've got to get back to finishing 'Snuffy Smith', which IS a continuation of 'Barney Google and Spark Plug' (itself a continuation of 'Barney Google')...

Anonymous said...

Word on the street is that King Features Syndicate will make "The Lockhorns" and "Funky Winkerbean" 4.5% funnier for 2007. Gotta go--I have a bag of Andy Capp's Hot Fries to eat...

--bill keane must pay

werenotdeep said...

I don't get what Mary's problem is, here. Who wouldn't want to date Captain Kangaroo?

I guess I'll have to give up my OMO moniker due to my having not ever paid attention to every bit of 1930's minutia. Hell, if I had lived in the 30's, I probably wouldn't know who Apple Mary was. But on the other hand, I don't own a single 78', and have never driven a car that was manufactured before 1976.

Anonymous said...

And I bet you don't greet people with: "Whaddya say?" or "What's the word?" Or begin your sentences with, "Say,..."

Pres,
SASofSF

Anonymous said...

Actually, he DOES begin sentences with 'Say...'

Anonymous said...

Say, maybe he doesn't have to turn in his OMO card after all. Whaddya say?

Pres,
SASofSF

Anonymous said...

You probably won't believe this, but when I told him that Seven Arms of Shiva practice was gonna be at MY house this Sunday during the BBQ, he responded with "Listen you mug, that sounds swell, see? I and the boys will skiddoo right over, savvy?" I could also hear his raccoon coat shuffling in the background throughout the conversation.

Cheezit, the coppers!
-charvey

werenotdeep said...

Say! I do say "say", and I'll say so myself, even.

But I don't spell "Jazz" with S's. Still not that old-timey.

Anonymous said...

Jass with two esses is perhaps a bit TOO old-timey. like using actual gas lamps in your living room, and the icebox (with ice block) in the kitchen. above and beyond the call, as it were.