Thursday, August 03, 2006

Heckasac the magnificent! (J.K.)


Carnac
Originally uploaded by becklerg.

I ate at the Firehouse and holy shit is that place expensive! I spent the entire amount that I'm getting paid to review it plus some and we only had one glass of wine apiece (FFT, this is not to make you feel bad, it was probably the only time I'll get to afford eating there so I was stoked). The filet mignon was like butter, though. It was insane. It did not seem like a piece of meat but more like a gift from Baby Jesus in meat form. I'm using up all my A material here (I know what you're thinking-this is A material?) so I'll save it for the review. The new Midtown/Downtown monthly should be out with my article on eating in Japantown. I haven't seen it yet but I think Dave Jones is on the cover. Speaking of midtown/downtown monthly, big and exciting changes are afoot there.

Have you ever eaten breakfast at Nopalitos? For most of you the answer is probably no because they only serve breakfast M-F 630-1045. I am hereby proclaiming that their little cactus special breakfast is the best breakfast in town. There, I did it, I proclaimed it and it feels good.

Things are not looking so good for the arena. Read this article, it sounds sketchy as all hell. I don't even think that 2/3rds vote law is a good law. If you had some awesome civic program on the ballot it would still be really hard to get that big of a majority to vote for it. R.E. Graswich and even Steve Cohn were bagging on the deal yesterday, too.

Remember last week when I made that crack about local news having cute pet stories and how we wouldn't want the news and review at that level? I'm like Carnac over here.

12 comments:

cakegrrl said...

Did you get to see the wine cellar?

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm, Nopalitos.....

beckler said...

No, I didn't and I'm really glad. I would have been so nervous because I was already tripping that the place was so fancy.

Anonymous said...

any idea how one can get in touch with the people at midtown/downtown monthly.. i couldn't find a website.. do they have an email or phone number you'd be okay with passing along?

Anonymous said...

try: nicholas dot miller at capitolweekly dot net

ACK said...

My aunt and uncle got married in the courtyard. I have to admit that their catered food was not that great. I will have to try one of their sitdown dinners.

fft said...

brian of abstract entertainment is on the august cover. dave jones cover and the arena stuff in september. that jesus line is classic. nopolitos IS the best breakfast in town; dave and rose are incredibly nice too. you should go say hi to june as she was interested to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Firehouse puts a big price tag on their food, but it almost always delivers. I recently had filet mignon at the Slocum House and it too was like heaven. My only complaint: why do restaurants put a big dollop of blue cheese butter on top of steaks nowadays? It always makes me think that they're trying to make up for a mediocre piece of meat. And in the case of a good piece of meat, I feel like it's distracting. I demand unadulterated meat bliss!

I read your review of J Town last night and it was great! I really hope that people read it and patronize those places.

Is the place that sells peanut butter mochi open on weekends?

Anonymous said...

nopalitos is heaven in a breakfast burritto.

i mean, if we're going with A material.

beckler said...

Thanks Dani! It's always nice to know that people are reading. I think Osaka Ya is open on weekends, yeah, I don't know if the snow cone window is, though.

Anonymous said...

The snow cone window is open saturdays and sundays

Anonymous said...

A belated KUDOS to you, ms Sac on the J-town article. Your style shone brightly. I also really liked the ones one the Railyard and the R Street project. (I'd forgotten what an ass Angelo was back then.)

Ed
-