Thursday, August 31, 2006

wino weekend

I haven't regained by posting fervor but the new News and Review is out today so maybe that will stir me up.

What's really been stirring me up lately (besides the Da Vinci Code) is probably going to be interesting to very few of you. Intrigued? Probably not but nonetheless I have been pondering this: why isn't the director Michael Haneke more acclaimed? I have seen almost all of his movies now and I can unequivocally state that he's a genius and I love him. Me and smiller just watched Funny Games which was disturbing in a way that I often can't tolerate but certain manipulations that he built in made it bearable and then watching the interview with him after was so reassuring and enlightening. He seems like such a rad guy. While writing this I just discovered on imdb that he's currently remaking Funny Games with Naomi Watts and Tim Roth, which was a shock to read. It makes sense that he would make an English language movie because his movies have been filmed in quite a few different languages. The imdb message board is already arguing about whether he's a big sellout to do this.

I am meeting with the Harbor winery guy, Charles in West Sac at 9am on saturday. He is 77 and seems like a real character. He doesn't do tours but he will be in the warehouse making wine so he told me to come on over. I hope it goes well! I don't know what I am going to ask yet. And then I'm going to Bogle later the same day! I hope to pick up a bottle of their moscato d'asti if they have any left. Wino weekend! Which doesn't really distinguish it from any other weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard Haneke is directing the next Harry Potter. That should put him in the spotlight.

Anonymous said...

i hope i'm not divulging too many secrets, but it was nice running into you at the petting zoo yesterday.

p.s. the Nuge got old after Wango Tango (two songs into his set), but the crowd was endlessly amusing.

Anonymous said...

Hey becky

Bringing up Haneke is probably the only thing that would get me to stop lurking and start replying. He's a really great storyteller, and uses some great devices (although the naked city song in funny games seemed a little silly/trite--if you can say that about them). Have you seen the seventh continent? the video store in Seattle swears it's his best, but I haven't seen it. Funny games reminded me of if someone tried to make a torture/horror movie according to my parents rules of movies, i.e., no swearing, no egregious violence, no nudity. And it's still disturbing. Anyway, thought I'd say hi and hope you are doing well.

Aaron

beckler said...

Hi Aaron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You finally comment just when I am thinking of wrapping the whole shebang up due to boredom. So it's kind of your fault, if you think of it. I want to put the seventh continent on my netflix, and I want to watch time of the wolf again. That one is so crazy.