Thursday, August 24, 2006

news roundup

Man, I am so glad I graduated Sac State before this shit got passed. They used to try to trick us into voting to increase our tuition (by over two hundred dollars a year) every year like clockwork for a stupid sports and recreation complex that very few students would use (mostly because CSUS is a commuter school and one with many older reentry students who are not likely to spend extra time on campus). It is even worse now because I think tuition has about doubled since I went there. It was much like the arena in that the school would spend money on polls and focus groups to try to figure out what tricky language to use to get it passed even though it was clearly not a popular notion. We voted it down multiple times but they would not take no for an answer. I guess they finally rammed it through.

The new cover of the News and Review asks if global warming will make Sac unliveable by 2100. Not that this isn't important but the question on my mind is will development make Sac unliveable by 2010? They had an article on Westfield corp's proposal for downtown plaza that could have easily run in the Bee. You know, I take that back, I looked at the article in the Bee and it is actually more critical of the plan than the News and Review is. Are we in opposite land now? The headline said it was met with "mixed reviews" but in the body of the article the mix seems to run from Sandy Sheedy's disappointment that it didn't get a more upscale retailer (although she's quick to praise Target)to Robbie Fong's overheated kudos. Fong pretends that the Target is going to look cool. Sure it will. Nobody brings up the other Target downtown and whether we really need two. The writer, CB, did include some comment from a member of a neighborhood group, but if anything, he's more pro-development than the city council. He must be a homeowner in Alkali Flats who is hoping this will make his home worth more, which is understandable. His quote (which closes the article) bugs me. "Sacramento’s at the cusp of being a cosmopolitan city, but we’re not there yet.” And an upscale retailer is what we need? So that must make Roseville a really cosmopolitan city. And here I thought it was a sprawly dump (Denios excepted, of course) Was there no one who could be quoted who questions the need for a major remodel of downtown plaza? Or who doesn't think it's appropriate for the city to possibly pay 20 million to a private company to fix something that ain't broke?

I enjoyed the review of China Buffet. I briefly contemplated eating there to review it for midtown monthly but then I realized I really, really didn't wanna eat there. Thanks, KW.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, China Buffet. One of Tower Theater & Tower Cafes greatest opponent by stealing the parking lot that's paid for by the folks in the Tower complex.

How did CB get a permit to have a huge restaurant when they have 30 parking spaces?

I hope they put all the Towers out of business (theater, cafe, records, video and books) and they can just put a huge WalMart in that spot to really bring in business to that crummy neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

"Man, I am so glad I graduated Sac State before this shit got passed. They used to try to trick us into voting to increase our tuition (by over two hundred dollars a year) every year like clockwork for a stupid sports and recreation complex that very few students would use (mostly because CSUS is a commuter school and one with many older reentry students who are not likely to spend extra time on campus). It is even worse now because I think tuition has about doubled since I went there. It was much like the arena in that the school would spend money on polls and focus groups to try to figure out what tricky language to use to get it passed even though it was clearly not a popular notion. We voted it down multiple times but they would not take no for an answer. I guess they finally rammed it through."

Heckasac, you are so right. When I was a Hornet back in the late 90's I was involved in several efforts to stop this thing. True, they did tinker with the idea so at least the people who MIGHT use the sports complex will pay for it mostly, but man, these administrators can't take no for an answer.

So, I would like to take this opprotunitty to announce to the heckasac world that I, Charles Albright, will be running for CSUS studnet government in the Spring of 2007. As ineffectual as the student government is to stop the will of the administration, getting involved with ASI does make a difference.

So, if any of you will be grad students at CSUS in the spring or know grad students whom will be at CSUS in the spring of 2007, keep an eye out for.....

CHARLES ALBRIGHT 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. I am a true Americian hero

Anonymous said...

Charles for Sac State Collgee Studnet President!

ACK said...

Doesn't the Rec center also include a full scale medical center (that would even be able to do surgical procedures) within the plans? I would think that would be worth $200 a year in tuition.

-Ally

beckler said...

Would it? Sac state already had a top-notch student clinic where I went many, many times (until they told me to stop coming back because no that mole is not cancer this is a true story). I don't see why they would need to take it as far as doing surgery, not that that would be bad, but because they can take care of a lot of basic stuff, it still probably wouldn't be worth it for most students to pay extra. And like I said, with tuitions way up, that is probably a tight squeeze for many students.

ACK said...

Yeah, it is tight with tuition, but then I didn't have good health insurance as a student and completely relied on the student health center. The few times I had to go outside of the med center for some simple procedures cost me WAY over $200.

Anonymous said...

Dear OMF,

Don't you have some tight pants to go buy?

Charles

Uneasy Rhetoric said...

Downtown Plaza is broken, which is why I think Westfield is desperate to bring in a retailer who will stick and will be a big enough draw to attract customers for the other stores...of course by that point there will be no other stores.

The Westfield DT Plaza mall should never have been. It was a bad idea to begin with.

Anonymous said...

" The Westfield DT Plaza mall should never have been. It was a bad idea to begin with."

Reminds me of when the place was first being built and stickers with a cute molotov cocktail and the words, "Going to the Downtown Plaza?" were showing up everywhere. Not that I know anyone who was resposible for these "irresponsible" acts of vandalism, or that I'd post names here if I did...funny how right a bunch of punks turned out to be.

Ed

Anonymous said...

I`m workin next week at a buddhist kindergarten where the rules are food,air and sun.If life was only so simple!!!When the DT plaza opened i worked sorten` bottles and cans at there rich folk gala opening.They had the mall roped in and secured..Ya needed a badge to get in.I got some bad looks as i was in my dirty conservation corp work skivvies.I went home with a case of wine which was left there(or borrowed)..That was a Long Time Ago--When did that place open?I`m all For charles--maybe i see ya in 2008..

Anonymous said...

Collgee is great!
Collgee for Studnet Body Prez
In 2008!

So where were you back when we needed you, when the bastages jacked up CSUS tuition to $725 per semester? I'm still steaming.

President,
Sacramento Appreciation Society of San Francisco

Anonymous said...

"So where were you back when we needed you, when the bastages jacked up CSUS tuition to $725 per semester? I'm still steaming."

Well, considering tuition hasn't been $725 since the late 1930's, I am guessing I wasn't born yet.

Charles