Tuesday, August 15, 2006

special city council meeting

I haven't posted today because I don't feel like it and also because I'm spending my free time writing the review of the Firehouse for midtown monthly.

There's a special meeting of the city council tonight to address the crime wave that Sac is having. I can't find the article where I read this, but I'm pretty sure that another issue being discussed is a city subsidy of around seven million to put in a live theater and restaurant in the old Woolworth's building.

I have tomorrow off so see you on thursday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Woolworth's building plan was discussed at the 2:00 PM session, the plans are available in PDF form on the city's website for a cute little 200-seat stage theater and another Paragary's restaurant, and a "soft demo" of the building (aka leave the facade and demolish the interior.) The crime wave part was interesting, although I am a bit concerned that the chief wants to temporarily take all POP officers off their jobs to form a giant gang unit. POP is a very effective program, and issues like graffiti/gang tags and potential crackhouses/drug dealing areas often get dealt with by POP first, which makes it seem like something you'd want to keep when dealing with gangs.