Thursday, August 24, 2006

new restaurants

Due to the massive outcry about my lack of posts here goes. Just calm down and quit with all the hysterics already, would you? Hopefully you can read through the tears.

I ate dinner at Rolle for the first time the other night. I enjoyed it, but I think it's probably a better lunch spot. The ambiance is more suited to lunch. The poached salmon sandwich was great. I didn't get any wine but I should have because they had a small but good selection, at least of whites. We didn't get a wine list so I don't know. Has anyone had any of their chicken entrees or sandwiches? I am not crazy about their salad mix that's the base for most of the salads. The dressing was sweet and it had too many peppers and big chunks of-gross-celery! That's a pretty minor nitpick, though, and I would like to try their salmon nicoise.

Yesterday morning I ate breakfast at Noplalitos for a little thing I'm writing for midtown monthly. As I've said before, it's the best, and I tried the chili verde for the first time and loved it. However, any time I can make it here for breakfast I'm getting the little cactus special, but if I go for lunch I'll probably go for chili verde.

And then for dinner I went to Kabul Kabob. The three of us were the only people there during our entire leisurely dinner. This is a damn shame. The afghani naan (which was more like a non-oily focaccia) was jaw-droppingly good with a little yoghurt and chutney (which we had to request). They have a big menu and I want to try more stuff. We started with a yoghurt pumkin appetizer called borani kadoo. We scarfed that down. After briefly contemplating a veggie entree to attempt to counteract the pork I had eaten that morning (that's how it works, right?) I went with ground beef and leef-filled dumplings. They were pretty good but I probably should have gone for a veggie dish or just gone all-out and ordered lamb. They seem to be masters with lamb. GW got a lamb curry that was wonderfull and ADK got something that was a pile of lamb, basmati rice, and raisins and other good stuff. The lamb was gamey in a really good way. The dudes running it were ohsonice. I am so happy this place opened dowtown because it's amazing we can get good Afghani food now without trekking to the burbs! The only drawback is that they don't serve alcohol. I wonder if you can bring in your own? Next time I go for dinner I'll ask. Smiller recommends their lunch buffet as well, which sometimes includes pizza.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was there I had some wine with my food...which was brought in by my friend who dined with me. So, I am not sure of the alcohol policy, but the owner was cool with it at the time. It was also Second Saturday and I am not sure how enforced things are anywhere that evening.
-Kristy

beckler said...

Cool, I was hoping that would be true. But I'll still call beforehand. Or sneak in my flask.

Anonymous said...

I hope that place lasts. He was complaining when I was there the other day that people can't park around there so they don't come in. Not sure if that's really the reason - that's just kind of a cursed location. Also, right now the construction in that area is insane! For a second the other day I thought it was physically impossible to get to La Bonne!

miller

Margaret said...

Where is Kabul Kabob?! It sounds so yummy.

Anonymous said...

It's on J between 7th & 8th - closer to 8th.

miller

Alice said...

he gets a lot of lunch business. but those are folks who don't have to park to get there. the place is/was a zoo during lunch hour all summer. i went several times and had to wait for seating. it looks like he was amassing a bunch of regulars too.

i need to go for dinner some night soon. i love that place.

Margaret said...

Thanks, Miller!