Thursday, July 05, 2007

lunch surprise

Completely unexpectedly a friend was swinging by Davis just as I was preparing to go to my normal, depressing Crepeville lunch, and we decided to go to Tucos. This is probably my fifth time there since 2004 (when it opened) and from a tentative start, this place has been progressing by leaps and bounds. In fact, it is quietly making some of the most exciting and daring food in the greater Sacramento area. We started with a restorative and wonderful glass of prosecco (I rode there in the 106 degree heat, which felt like a blast furnace). Then we moved on to an assortment of oysters on the half shell, Olympia, Kumamoto, and Marin varieties, eschewing the giant and not-local Wellfleets that were also being offered. How did they get such wonderful, and tiny oysters out of season? I couldn't tell you but I can tell you that they were all delicious, especially the Olympia, which were medium-sized and very creamy. They were presented on ice with mignonette, cocktail sauce, and lemon. We bought six and got one free. Next, we both sampled the cold corn soup (the soup of the day), which was so interesting! It was pureed raw sweet corn, lemon (probably Meyer), a little bit of cream, and vinho verde. Check out the online menu, which is not totally up-to-date but is pretty accurate and you'll see that there is a real Portuguese flavor running through it, from the Azorean cheese, to the Brazilian stew. The owner's wife is from Lisbon, which is why he is incorporating this influence in his food, but he said he's "trying not to scare anyone". I assume he was probably referring to bacalau. For our main courses we both got cold salads, EC got the fig, goat cheese aged balsamic and arugula salad, which was wonderful, and I got the carrot and boquerone salad, because I can't resist boquerones. My salad was an experiment that was not 100% successful, but I appreciated the attempt. It had a beautiful presentation, with fanned, halved baby carrots, each with a boquerone (a vinegary pickled anchovy) on top, and a little pile of greens and olives off to one side. The dressing was very similar to the mignonette, and the vinegar was quite sharp, and that, coupled with the sharp tang of the boquerones was too strong. However, it was a lovely lunch and I can't wait to go back. They also have a wide assortment of cheeses that you can buy by the ounce. And great wine! And Ici ice cream from the Bay Area! And Fra'mani sausage! And sherry from Jerez! You must check this place out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummm! And they have delicious exotic shakes! Thanks for telling me about Tucos. Their chicken taco plate was quite terrific too.

Anna

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Tucos, it sounds exciting.

Why are people scared of bacalau? It's delicious, at least it is when my brother makes it on Christmas Eve.

Miss B

archbishop said...

Is Tuco's named after Eli Wallach's character in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"? He's "the Ugly". I hope so.

If I'd known there was a place in Davis called Tucos, I would've tried it just for the name.

How much is this place?

beckler said...

click on the menu, it has prices. it's pretty expensive, but just getting a sandwich at lunch wouldn't break the bank. it's by the train station.