Tuesday, July 24, 2007

recipes? hope this isn't too boring

I seriously never have time to post. It's lame. OK, maybe a minute.

I once again made an amazing dinner (if I do say so myself) from the bounties of the farmer's market. Components:

porkchops from Bledsoe-2 inch thick chops for seven bucks that were so juicy that we just threw them on a hot grill for around 15 minutes and they were the best

fried green tomatoes-I got the tomatoes from the watanabe farms (an organic farm in west sac) booth at the market. they have the best tomatoes, including the golden ones that I love and green ones. and they give you a free recipe. if you have never eaten fried green tomatoes you need to try them. the acidity of the unripe tomato is what makes them so good. and the frying of course.

and a quinoa salad that I made from a modified recipe in gourmet. are you cooking with quinoa yet? because you should be. the head introduced me to it and it is a miracle grain. if it is a grain that is. here's the recipe for that:

simmer one cup quinoa (get it at the co-op bulk bins) in two cups water (covered) until soft, about ten minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit for a while to steam more-you want the quinoa to be cool for the salad so do this ahead of time
-buy three ears of yellow corn from the farmer's market, boil them for five minutes and set aside to cool
-zest two lemons and juice one, mix this with a tablespoon of honey (this is the key), salt and peper, and a couple tablespoons of olive oil
-mix the dressing, two cups of the cooked quinoa (you'll have some left over), the corn cut off the cob, and chopped scallions and mint.
so good!

I have tomorrow off because it's my birthday and tonight I will be bedding down within the luxurious confines of the Reno Circus Circus. Only the best for me!

16 comments:

ACK said...

I like quinoa. Obviously, everyone else must like it because it is always sold out at the Co-op or Whole Foods. I finally found it at Trader Joes. mmm...I probably shouldn't tell you all because then it will be gone there as well! Oh well...sharing the love for quinoa.

ACK said...

Oh, and happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Good luck in Reno. Don't believe Albert at Fitzgerald's when he says you can stay at his house.

The Gambler

Anonymous said...

If you're planning on dining out while visiting our fair city, skip the buffets (a major reason why Reno is the Hep epicenter of North America) and check out the secret steakhouse in Harrah's basement. It's straight out of Swingers, plus the tableside "setting things on fire" part of the meal prep is like an old skool magic show.

Anonymous said...

Oh and best Nevada style bar/restaurant in that part of town? The Coney Island (http://coneyislandbar.net/)

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the steakhouse at Harrah's, be warned though, it's pricey. It'll take at least twenty hours of high limit table play to get comped for just one meal. The buffet at El Dorado is better than most, read not puke-worthy. A bloody mary and an Awful Awful Burger at The Nugget, not John Ascuaga's, is a great meal.

Kenny Rogers

beckler said...

I'm just planning on driving up, doubling my money, and then driving home. No really, I am looking forward to the free personal pan pizza that each registered guest of the Circus Circus receives each day (I think they slip it under your pillow), hopefully swimming in the pool and not getting swimmer's itch, eating at the Pneumatic Diner (which smiller's sister used to own-it's either vegan or vegetarian and it's the number one rated place on reno yelp) and most of all thrifting! Bag A Bargain, here I come. I am going to make some wicked scores. More wicked than my peach colored tshirt that I'm currently wearing that says "party bear sacramento california" and has the state fair bear dressed in a new rave outfit.

beckler said...

did you guys catch this article by AP on the distillery last week? it made me want to eat there sometime. I've never had a monte cristo

http://www.sacbee.com/117/story/280045.html

Anonymous said...

In that case, add Washoe ARC out on Sutro Street for thrifting. Plus it's right down the street from Tacos del Rey, home of the awesome Cabeza de Baca enchilada plate.

beckler said...

wow, thanks! who are these anonymous reno area readers?

Anonymous said...

Not so much anonymous as too lazy to sign in! I've been leading a glamorous dual Sacto/Reno lifestyle for the past few years. More than likely any of the slot machines you'll be seeing at Circus Circus were created by my current employer.

The Washoe ARC store until recently employed a good pal of me and Ms G Bomb, hence the insider knowledge about Tacos del Rey.

wburg said...

I could definitely use a Reno run; I have friends up there I don't see enough, and those glorious thrift stores...although whenever I go to a Reno gun store I get depressed over the wonderful, wonderful things that they'd deep-fry you for if you tried to take them back home to California.

Anonymous said...

I like to use green zebras when I am frying tomatoes. And the secret to a good crunchy not soggy batter is adding uncooked grits to the flour mixture. Learned that secrete from my NC friend.

amanda

Anonymous said...

Movie factoid #666:

"Cockfighter" and "Fried Green Tomatoes" were both filmed in Juliette, GA

Love,
Warren Oates' Mustache

werenotdeep said...

MSG Bomb. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

JC! Can't a girl go on a roadtrip without having her thrifting secrets revealed and being namecalled?

That's it! I am moving to Canada and never coming back. I got 24 albums (including Faces, The Beatles, and our Canadian friend Joni Mitchell) for 12 bones canadian. Tusk!

Speaking Of Joni, she is on a Canadian stamp in a 4 pack with Paul Anka, Gordon Lightfoot and ???
I think my Canadian artist 4 pack would be Joni, Neil, Sloan and isn't Leonard Cohen Canadian?

Happy birthday Beckler!

gbomb reporting from the Flathead Valley, MT