Tuesday, July 10, 2007

more j. rich!

The sound is fuzzy but this is some pretty awesome super 8 footage from summer 1981 in sproul plaza berkeley. Here's a good story from this website

JoJo - True Kid on the Block
Jonathan had called to say he was flying in for the Boston Music Awards to make a presentation to Bill Nowland of Rounder Records- my former Fort Apache landlord. I knew they weren't jetting him all the way from his home in Nevada City, California just to hand over a plaque, and I told him I thought he must have won an award, too. He would get to play a song as part of the ceremony, and asked "what song do you think I should play". I suggested my favorite cut from the new record, Fender Stratocaster, whose lyrics are full of wonderful similes and humorous- but perfectly precise -observations (it's got the ancient Egyptian script; it's got the wang bar from the crypt!). Agreeing, he asked "what kind of guitar do you think I should play?"- we both had a laugh when I suggested a Fender Telecaster, offering to loan him one so he didn't have to risk flying with a guitar (he was already familiar with my '66 Teli: during a romantic emergency in 1980 he'd loaned me the money to buy a ticket to Pakistan, receiving the guitar as collateral; times were tough, and I repaid the loan painfully slowly until he generously waived the last hundred dollars or so and returned my guitar). This was the second year in a row that the New Kids on the Block were prominently featured at the awards. Just as in the previous year the audience was split into two groups: the usual Boston rock crowd and a flock of 13 year-old teenie boppers who screamed their heads off whenever the NKOTB were mentioned or appeared onstage. The "usual suspects" were disgruntled at their ceremony being usurped by a prefab music biz creation like NKOTB. Before long whenever the teenies screamed the other half of the room would hiss. It was getting ugly. The rock acts that played left the New Kids crowd silent, and the mood was not pleasant. Then Jonathan came out and did his thing. True to plan he was playing "Fender Stratocaster" on my red Telecaster. Also true to form he placed the guitar down on the stage after a verse or two and did most of the rest of the tune using only his voice accompanied by "drums" made from pounding his fists on his chest. He was doing his little Jonathan dance, a joyous Jewish Jackie Wilson sort of affair, replete with hip thrusting and pelvic rotations. And...to my utter amazement...the teenie boppers went wild!!! They started screaming like it was Shaun Cassidy circa 1976. This was the only time at that awards show that both halves of the room grooved to the same act. So nothing really surprises me anymore where Jonathan is concerned.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Major love for JoJo from Team Heckasac. Why am I not surprised? (Big fan here, too, and I'm hoping you'll devote a few blog entries to the greatness that was NRBQ.

Minor point, but you cut-and-pasted from that Boston Rock site, so you're not at fault: It's Bill Nowlin of the Rounder triumvirate, not Bill Nowland.

Cheers,
Grwffydd
as pompous and humorless as always

beckler said...

don't call him jojo! oh, if i'm so predictable, why don't you guess some other band/performer that i like that i've never mentioned here? and the beatles don't count.

Anonymous said...

Why not? And I wasn't ribbing you for being predictable; I was merely noting that adoration of the Jonathan is entirely consistent with your other aesthetic preferences.

My, my. So defensive!

(And I'm a longtime Richman fan going back to the issue of that 1970 John Cale-produced Modern Lovers record, which IIRC came out in '74 on Home of the Hits, a Beserkley subsidiary, so whadda I know? I've seen Jonathan live more times than I care to count.)

Cheers,
Grwffydd

ps: Still waiting for you to rock the Q, though.

Anonymous said...

I had dinner with Jonathan Richman once. We, a certain Fancy Lady,a certain Friendly Creature and my self, went to that mexican place on Broadway by Los,it's brown and yellow...can't think of the name. Ayhow..he was avery interesting conversationalist. He thought printing books,the printing press itself it seems, killed literature.He prefered handwritten books,who can blame him. He also talked about push ups alot. Oh yeah, and he shorted us on the bill!

Anonymous said...

Cockfighting and J. Richmond--

Monday`s Daily Yomiuri has a L.A times world report add on with a cockfighting story called "Filipinos say it`s in the blood"..check it out..Cockfighting does happen in Japan. On thursday I head to an area called Kashima and I pass an old farm that breeds Amakusa Roosters. There about the size of turkeys!!! There feathers are all tore up and if ya get up close they try to peck ya.
Sunday`s Toyko Confidential has some nifty stories "hobbies beat poverty" and "foreign food in the bento"..Those are in monday`s japan times..
My fave Richmond songs --Corner Store and hospital...
Are there any yakitori stands in Sactoe???
jay

Jeff M. said...

oh, if i'm so predictable, why don't you guess some other band/performer that i like that i've never mentioned here?

Wasn't sure if this is an open invitation, but here are my guesses anyway:

The Auteurs
Carlos Gardel
The Andrew Sisters

beckler said...

who?


I'm still waiting for J. Griff's guesses. I'm not defensive, you can't tell that written down.

Anonymous said...

Mister Richman is an excellent showman in the troubador tradition. When an ex of mine and I were at a gig, she was getting crowded out by some tall knuckledraggers and JR stopped playing and snapped at them and made sure she could see the rest of the show. Nother memorable show was at wino park (I don't care what the city renamed it to, so take that Cesar Chavez) when some wino danced around and the cops didn't hassle him. There are way too many great stories about him. Best work: Da Modern Lovers 1st lineup stuff on Berserkeley. Favorite solo record has to be Jonathan Goes Country. Not many fans of his solo stuff seem to like it, but to me it's the album that shows him off best.

Ed

beckler said...

That show in Cesar Chavez park was insanely great. I still remember being mad that members of Deathray (who were hot at the time and got to open) weren't watching him while he was playing.

Anonymous said...

Jay writes:

Monday`s Daily Yomiuri has a L.A times world report add on with a cockfighting story called "Filipinos say it`s in the blood"..check it out..
------------------

Yea, cockfighting is big with the Filipinos! During my high school years in Stockton most of my friends' dads and cousins who picked asparagus went to the cockfights in the Delta farming islands!

Thanks for mentioning that article--I'll try looking it up...

President,
Sacramento Appreciation Society of San Francico

Anonymous said...

Here's the LA Times cockfighting article Jay mentioned: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-cockfight16jun16,0,2878170.story?coll=la-home-center

Pres,
SASSF