Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Fashion trends

Are you wondering what the new Williamsburg/hipster trend is in New York? I can't think of any name for it besides "looking like shit". I know, that's not very clever. It probably won't catch on as a name for the look. There used to be a time not so long ago when I would go to NY and see all the beautiful girls on the L and be totally intimidated. Sure, some of them would be over the top and wearing shit that I would never even try to rock, but a lot of them looked really cool and fashionable. Now, I look around and just think everyone just looks like shit and that I'm comparably well-dressed. Everyone has nasty, unflattering, ratty haircuts. I saw acid wash, I saw overpriced vintage rock shirts (people are STILL wearing this dumb shit). I saw lots of girls in those hideous high heeled, calf-length 80's boots that give everyone cankles. Everyone is STILL wearing cowboy boots. I like cowboy boots, but I DO NOT like them with LEGGINGS (yuck, black leggings that end at the calf), and I do not like brown cowboy boots with black outfits. I don't think that matches. I saw this girl at Sway who seemed to think she was the shit in a baggy, ratty belted white dress, black leggings, and brown cowboy boots. She looked like the third Olsen twin. Are the Olsen twins really hipster icons? Aren't people embarassed to be trying to dress like girls who used to be on Full House? The only new trend I spotted was unitards. I guess bodysuit might be the more accurate description, but you can shorten the word unitard down to 'tard. I saw a girl wearing a black one of these, uh, garments with brown cowboy boots. Hideous.

8 comments:

beckler said...

This post makes me sound like a hater, but I'm not. I like it when there is cool new shit in NY, cuz then I can steal it and bring it home.

Maya said...

Did you go to Larry Lawrence?

Anonymous said...

are these hipster girls walking in pairs and are they twins? cause if they are that's fuckin' hot. i know beckler doesn't "understand" this fact ,but frighteningly skinny pilled up twins are sexy,sexy,sexy!

Alice said...

last september i was seeing some stuff that made me feel kind of gross. the ladies were wearing daisy dukes, bohemian shirts, leather vests and 70s knee high vinyl or leather boots. some chicks could pull it off with the right combo. but others were mismatching their colors and leathers. and, honestly, not that many chicks look good in a pair of daisy dukes.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think that hipsters in NYC dress so shitty because they have such limited thrift store options because everything is so god damn expensive and picked through there. So they have no choice but to buy the most busted shit and pretend like it looks good. Maybe I'm just missing the boat on the whole ugly is the new cute trend and am hopelessly uncool, but I prefer to think that there are some socio-economic factors at play here. Margs

beckler said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head! Exactly. They were all wearing thrift store shit but it was really busted. We are so lucky to have thrift stores out here. I don't understand why they don't have them on the east coast. It's weird. There are plenty of poor people in the other boroughs, but no thrift stores anywhere, or only horrible ones. Maybe it's the high rents for retail space.

Anonymous said...

ugly is the new pink!

I cant wait til the style is sheep-collar denim jackets with pajama pants and uggs boots. Then I'll finally be cool.

Anonymous said...

Is that you Britney?