Tuesday, May 17, 2005

MMB is bananas



The Marriage of Maria Braun is crazy good. If you don't believe me, read the Great Movies essay on Ebert's site. Or read this interview with Fassbinder's friend if you want to know more about this weird dude.

I'd just like to take a minute here to talk about how Netflix has changed my life. I'm misting up a little bit here, but I'll try to write through the tears. I'm finally able to watch movies that I have wanted to see for years and years but was unable to because I live in Sac and there has NEVER been any good video store in Sac. Oh sure, Cinemania was around for a while, and they tried, but their selection was really sparse. I would visit other towns and cities and trip on the video stores there, but it's not like you want to rent videos on vacation. Even tiny Bellingham had two video stores that were far superior to anything we have. Sure, before Tower started selling off their foreign collection of video tapes (which has been decimated and has not been replaced with DVDs because they only have space in the store for new releases and whatever crappy TV show comes out on DVD-who are these people who watch Mork and Mindy episodes on DVD?) they had a pretty good foreign selection, but I would usually head for the new releases in the store because I was so conditioned to do so. Or my mind would go blank on movies on had been wanting to see. Enough about this. I'll just say: Netflix I love you.

Now if only there was some online service where I could order a good bar to hang out at with my friends. That doesn't make much sense, but you know what I mean.

I saw Crash at Tower last night and it's not so bad. Jenny already told me that she didn't like it, so it might be one of those things where my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised, but if you can see it for free, give it a go. There are definitely quite a few cringe-worthy moments, but Cheadle and, to a lesser extent, Matt Dillon, shine through the pap.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I said it down below, but I'll say it again. MMB IS crazy good. And I agree with DB about Fox and his Friends even more so. Becky, if you haven't seen that you should see it next, you'd love it. The interior decor alone....

-BR

Anonymous said...

Even though i often dread the thought of going home to bellingham sometimes the great stuff they have there in such a small town amaze me.
I mean a guy opened an art theatre in a store front, it totally worked out, (sometimes when i am there they are playing movies that have yet to make it to Sac or never even come at all) the community supported the theatre and its been open about 8 years.
and don't even get me started on the radio museum or the food bank.
-natalie

beckler said...

Oh yeah, I went to that theater and saw the documentary about the people in Texas who have to keep one hand on a car for days to win it. I doubt if that ever played in Sac. The food bank is great, too. If I lived there I would probably try to scam it. You know how I love a good scam. In the old days my crusty name was scamdawg

DB said...

I saw "Hands on a Hard Body" when it played at the Tower...great movie.

beckler said...

Ah! I always get my facts wrong! Just like Griego Erwin!

Anonymous said...

yeah Bellingham brings out the crusty scamdawg in us all.
All those hippys and crustys in one place, you are just bound to get your scam on.

-bellinghams finest.

Erik said...

I remembered this post when this story caught my eye this morning --

"Wal-Mart, Netflix in DVD alliance"

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/19/technology/personaltech/walmart_netflix.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

It's kind of cool to think that Netflix is taking over Walmart's on-line DVD service, but at the same time Netflix is becoming a marketing whore for Wal-Mart. Weird.