Monday, May 14, 2007

handle it

OK, so the Finches record gets a terrible review because they're not the Animal Collective but this chucklehead gets an 8 point fucking seven! I downloaded this album and listened to it and it's just OK, pretty frenetic and annoying. This reviewer must really love xylophone and woody woodpecker samples. Carolyn said she used that review as inspiration for a song, so take that, stupid p-fork!

I'm glad the Bee is doing this series on drunk driving. It's sorely needed. I wish they would do some hard-hitting investigative stuff and send someone out to observe the zoo that is downtown on a friday and saturday night at 2 am. Maybe that's coming next. However, it's totally absurd to pretend that any bar would ever enforce the law of not serving to someone who is visibly intoxicated. Everyone is drunk in a bar unless you're watching Cheers on TV. The fault lies with the police not busting enough people for word to get out, which is probably because there aren't enough of them to do so.

Hey, Mike Dunne reviewed Cafe Vinoteca. He starts the review with a scintillating discussion of whether it's a ristorante or a trattoria. See a ristorante is...looked I've gently lulled you to sleep. How cute. I know, I know, he handles the fine dining, but who is handling everything else? And don't say Allen Pierloni, he wouldn't know how to handle an actual handle even if it came equipped with an E-Z grip handle. Ha ha, I kid! One day I'm going to run into these guys and I'll just keel over and die.

13 comments:

archbishop said...

Melt Banana and Mike Watt and the Missing Men are playing Wed at the Blue Lamp. Is anyone going or will it just be me?

I remember when Mike R Mike and I went to see Bow Wow Wow a few years ago at the El Dorado Saloon. There were about 20 people there and it was a great show.

Anonymous said...

I bet that show sells out. And you along with it, Smitty.

-miller

beckler said...

i might go. after seeing that mike watt doc i know he is an awesome guy. melt banana have always been fun live.

Anonymous said...

Also, Rall drums for Mike Watt.

-miller

beckler said...

Q: have I reached a new low when I am trying to find the myspace of Cathy Guisewite's daughter? What about trying to think of jokes to submit to They'll Do It Every Time?

beckler said...

http://www.reuben.org/ncs/images/weekends/suspects.asp

Josh Nice said...

yeah there's no justice at the fork. for instance they completely slagged rose melberg's record as being just another adult contemporary singer/songwriter, but then they laud the hell out of the tracey thorn record, which (while i love all her old shit and much of the EBTG records) is one of the blandest, most adult contemporary things i have ever heard.

werenotdeep said...

I somehow don't see you keeling over and dieing upon meeting the swankity Bee foodies, but rather cleaning their clocks, while wearing a Wonder Woman outfit. I think that's how most of us imagine it going down, anyway. At least that's how I imagine most people imagining it.

Anonymous said...

Dude, that is an awfully hetero fantasy.

Is there something you want to tell us?

gbomb

beckler said...

i'm working on an ipod themed subject for they'll do it every time. watch for the strip! i'm gonna get in.

an appeal: can anyone sum up the recent plot developments in for better or worse? my eternal problem with that strip is that i read it as a kid, but now that the cartoonist has aged everyone i can't tell who is who and i'm always totally confused. is the dog still alive?

werenotdeep said...

Nah, you're reading it totally wrong. It's very gay for its silly kitsch value.

Anonymous said...

I wish you would stop stereotyping yourself.

gbomb

werenotdeep said...

What? You walked me right into that one. Enabler!