Monday, April 01, 2013
pretty much for the neighbor only
Thanks for the invite to your fun party. Sux that it got majorly rained out after we left. Guphy and I sat and watched it through my front window and listened to Ladies of the Canyon. You should give Joni Mitchell a chance. Speaking of that, it is very important to me and smiller that you come around to the Grateful Dead. Let me make my case:
1) One reason people hate the Dead is that they associate it with the bullshit it became in the 80s and 90s (and maybe late 70s). That is not fair! Would you go see the Rolling Stones now and say that they suck and you could never get into them? OF COURSE NOT
2) Due to your love of traditional country you have judged them harshly on covers they have done that you didn't like. You can't judge any band on covers. They in general do really bad covers, and Weir especially picks totally cheesy ones.
3) You like country rock so it makes no sense to reject the Dead entirely.
4) You like New Rider with Jerry. Boom!
5) When I have time, I will make you a comp that will knock your socks off. No Pigpen, no Donna Godchaux screeching, no Weir when his voice is at it's worst. Kreutzmann is such a badass drummer and when Jerry is in the zone there is nothing like it. Not to mention when Phil drops a major Phil bomb.
6) once you are into that, you can start delving into the very best of the live shows. The vibes still emanate from these recordings. Once you hear a crowd that are probably all peaking on acid get psyched at the first few notes of a favorite song you can't resist.
I think I covered it, although Scott may have a few more points. I expect to hear the sounds of the Dead emanating from your side of the building by this summer (the Dead sound best in the summer played outside, or preferably played while you are driving on hiway 1)
Posted by beckler at 9:14 AM